Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions Regarding a Parasitic Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions Regarding a Parasitic Drain

Hey fellow members, I'm having an issue with a parasitic drain with my 1999 Camaro SS. My battery died after about a week of letting the car sit. I've performed the fuse test and have narrowed down what is pulling amperage when the car is off.

10A Cooling Fan Fuse Circuit (under hood): ~33 mA
25A Cig/Accy Fuse Circuit: ~39 mA
20A Courtesy Fuse Circuit: ~31 mA
15A PWR/Accy Fuse Circuit: ~5 mA (negligible)

So I have about 100 mA draw while the car is off. I read it should be no more than around 30 mA (correct me if I'm wrong). I had been having cooling issues around the same time this started happening so I may have a failing cooling fan. But I'm now trying to figure out what would cause the other amp draws. I'm assuming one of the Cig/Accy or Courtesy amps draws is okay, but not both of them. Has anyone ever had similar amperage draw to this? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems like you have found all of your problems, you just need to repair these. I had replaced my bulbs with LED's and found that my system would not shut down completely (off) until I put back one of the bulbs into the circuit, fixed my issue. Easy video below.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The 10A fan circuit should have no draw with the ignition off. It powers the coil side of the three fan relays and grounds though the relay control connections at the PCM which should not be active when the ignition is off.

The Cig/Accy circuit connects only to the cigarette lighter, console power outlet, and the OBD II port under the dash. Unless you have accessories plugged in to one of those locations, there should be no current flow there either.

The Courtesy circuit powers the courtesy lights through the BCM. There will be a draw there even if the courtesy lights are off for a period of time after the car is shut down until the BCM "goes to sleep". You should leave the car alone after opening or closing a door or using the remote for at least 15 minutes and then check the current draw. You should find it becomes minimal at that point.

The small draw on the Pwr Accy circuit is normal because it maintains the clock in the radio.