02 camaro, How to turn the high beam on even the switch is off - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Reload this Page >

02 camaro, How to turn the high beam on even the switch is off

Notices
Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

02 camaro, How to turn the high beam on even the switch is off

Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Default 02 camaro, How to turn the high beam on even the switch is off

I have 2002 camaro my qustion is how to turn the high beam on even the headlight switch is off ??
Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Director

Why?

The wiring wouldn't be too difficult but there are a lot of options depending on what you want to do with it. For example, do you still want the the high beams to work normally in addition to this modification? Do you want a separate switch to turn on the high beams or have them go on and off with the ignition (like DRLs)? Do you want only the high beams or other lights like side markers and tail lights?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Ok first you ask me why? because i usually drive my car with only a p light and i need some time to use the high beam but i canít and if you see in all a new model cars itís work even the whole light is off

About the opetion or what i want
I want the high beam work with my side and tail light so i can turn the high beam on and off without turn the low beam at the headlight switch
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Ungrounded Director

If I understand this correctly, you usually drive with your parking lights on (headlight switch in the P position) and you want to have a flash-to-pass feature like many newer cars? Or do you want to be able to turn on the high beams for a period of time without switching on the headlights?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Exactly

I wnat to be able to turn the high-beam not for a flash to pass i want to turn on completly with the p postion headlight switch
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Director

That was an either/or question... do you want to be able to flash the high beams or do you want to be able to turn them on for a period of time?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Teching In

For a period time 👍🏼
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Director

Okay, that was what I thought you meant. And frankly, that's stupid and illegal. You may not drive on public roads after dark with only parking lights on... they're parking lights. This is a pet peeve of mine - people who think it looks "cool" to drive without proper lighting. I can almost understand in a Firebird not wanting to have the lights pop up but that's no excuse in a Camaro. Just turn on your headlights (or let the automatic lights do it for you) like a normal person.

To answer your question, there is no simple way to make the high beams work from the parking light position and still have the headlights work as normal as well. You would have to bypass the dimmer switch completely for low beam operation and then provide a different power source for the high beams.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Yes you are right in usa

But iím from another country and iím not driving my car all the time with a p postion light only some time

And in my car it doesnít have a day light system

For me i will do any thing to do this option
Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Ungrounded Director

Okay, so why not use your headlights all the time? You could even wire the switch so that it would have ignition controlled power which would allow you to leave it in the headlight position and have them turn on and off with the ignition so you wouldn't run down the battery. Then your dimmer switch would work to switch between low beam and high beam as normal.

Is this a North American vehicle or an export version? The export version had different wiring for the headlight dimmer switch than the ones sold in North America.

Another option is to just leave your dimmer switch in the high beam position all the time and use the headlight switch to go from Park to Headlights - that would work because the Camaro doesn't leave the low beams on when switching to high beams. Granted, it's not as convenient as using the turn signal stalk to switch but since you're doing it for longer periods that might not be such a big deal.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Ok so if i connected with the ignation or connect the park postion with the head postion from the switch light i think this will turn on the low-beam all the time and i couldnít turn the signal light individually am i wrong ??

Yes itís an export version
Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Ungrounded Director

I was suggesting that you turn the headlight switch all the way to the headlight on position rather than the P position. That would give you headlights on while driving (day or night) as a substitute for daytime running lights. If you wanted to not have to turn the headlight switch on and off every time you were driving then you could wire the power source at the headlight switch to an ignition switched source so that the lights would go on and off with the ignition switch. You would do that by connecting the orange wire (parking light power) and the red wire (headlight power) at the headlight switch to an ignition source such as patching into one of the thick pink wires at the steering column. Or you could use a relay to turn the existing power connections on and off with the ignition instead of patching into another circuit. You would still be able to run just the parking lights using the P position on the switch but they would go off when the ignition was turned off.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Whatís the point to do this !!

My point is to turn the high-beam with the p postion switch to on the high-beam individually without to turn the headlight switch (low-beam)

Iím thinking if there is any relay or dimmer for the high-beam to connected to the ignition switch by this way i can turn on and off the high-beam individually without to start the low-beam
Old 10-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Ungrounded Director

I still don't understand what you want to achieve. I was figuring that you want something equivalent to daytime running lights. I don't understand why you want high beams but no low beams and yet still have the other lights (parking and tail lights) on as well. And I also don't understand why you insist that it all must work on the P position of the headlight switch.

I suggest you provide a detailed description of what you are trying to accomplish with this modification so I can visualize the wiring changes necessary to accomplish it. Otherwise, I'm not going to be able to help you.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Ok what i want to achieve exactly i will explane it point by point

I want to allow to turn my high-beam exactly when the switch is in p postion why? i donít want to tie up my high-beam with the head postion switch because at the head postion switch the low-beam it must work then you allow to turn the high-beam this what i donít want

I hope you will get my point
Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Are you talking about daytime running lights? What country are you in?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Teching In

No no iím not talking about day light and i donít have this system in my camaro

Middle east

Last edited by Rayan_Z28; 10-12-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Banned

Then why would you want this? None of this makes any sense. If you're so desperate to have them on, just connect a switch to them.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Teching In

If it doesnít make any sense

How all the new cars it has like this opetion ??

If you know how to make it show me the way
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

New cars don't run high beams off the driving lights. Highs are either on the high beam switch or it's the flash from the signal stalk. You may be confusing hid for high beams. Many new cars are using led driving lights with hids for the main lighting. It makes the hid look like a high beam because of the difference in light output. Your car has neither led or hid so it's not going to look like the new cars unless you do a led/hid conversion.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: