Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What kind of bulbs are these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default What kind of bulbs are these?

I have no idea what kind of HID kit is in my car and one of the low beams is out. The headlight housings look like these.

Low beams are standard 55w H1 bulb? Is there a better HID kit that I can use to replace this? The housing is very specific and the bulb is held with a latch mechanism which also serves as a ground. If you put the bulb in the housing and don't fasten the latch over it, it won't light up. I'm assuming the aftermarket kits like Morimoto run the ground a different way? I was Looking at the Morimoto H1 XB HID kit, 55w, 6500k, HD relay but would it even make a difference with these crappy housings?

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

H1.

H1 HID bulbs will have both wires to the bulb so you'll not have any ground issues.

I had those housings with HID in my old 98, and they weren't bad. I would NOT run 55W HID in them though, you'll burn stuff up. 35W is the highest I'd go.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
H1.

H1 HID bulbs will have both wires to the bulb so you'll not have any ground issues.

I had those housings with HID in my old 98, and they weren't bad. I would NOT run 55W HID in them though, you'll burn stuff up. 35W is the highest I'd go.
I've been running 55 W HID bulbs in those housing for 3 years now. No problem.....
Old 10-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
I have no idea what kind of HID kit is in my car and one of the low beams is out. The headlight housings look like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R2sBzkxDzQ

Low beams are standard 55w H1 bulb? Is there a better HID kit that I can use to replace this? The housing is very specific and the bulb is held with a latch mechanism which also serves as a ground. If you put the bulb in the housing and don't fasten the latch over it, it won't light up. I'm assuming the aftermarket kits like Morimoto run the ground a different way? I was Looking at the Morimoto H1 XB HID kit, 55w, 6500k, HD relay but would it even make a difference with these crappy housings?

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-H.../dp/B000UHFO8Q

I've had the Morimoto kits and they're good. But they still eventually fail... I've been buying Xentec kits. Much cheaper and I can replace them four or five times, if they fail, for the price of ONE Morimoto kit.

Right now, I'm running a Xentec H1 hid kit in 6K color and they look great in those Spyder headlights.