Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommend a car alarm for me.......need a new one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Recommend a car alarm for me.......need a new one.

I have a hood lock that was associated with my original alarm system that was installed back in 1998......hahahahaha........it stopped working a couple years ago. When I lock the hood with my Medxeco key it activated the alarm. Then I used a typical remote. When the hood lock is unlocked it deactivated the alarm. So I leave my hood lock unlocked now. All I have is my factory beeping horn alarm when the door opens without unlocking it with the remote first....LOL....

Whats a decent one.....nothing exotic and crazy needed. I'd like to get push to start along with it maybe.

Thanks...

Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

"push to start" is a factory feature if you have a manual transmission. Turn on the ignition, put it in second gear, get a friend to push you, and pop the clutch to start.

You may be able to find a Hornet 700T, Hornet 727T, or Viper 330V although they have been discontinued. They are stock system alarm upgrades. Basically, they add more sophisticated alarm features to a factory keyless entry or alarm system. The features include a full siren, "warn away" capability, and can handle multiple optional sensors such as motion sensor or glass break detection. The cool thing is that it uses your factory keyless entry fob. You can even wire it to use the factory alarm LED on the top of the dash. GM used to sell it in their own packaging as a dealer installed option. I installed one in my T/A and was very pleased with its performance and how it seemed just like a factory system. All the wiring can be done at the BCM (except the under-hood switch and the siren) so installation is quite straight forward. I've seen a few kicking around on sites like ebay for $50 but if you can't find one, I may still have one new in the box that I had planned to install in my wife's Envoy.

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with any of the DEI brand products (Viper, Hornet, Clifford, Python, etc.). They are the clear leader in the field. Just pick one based on your budget and the options you want. Installation can be challenging unless you've had a lot of experience with auto electrical systems so you might want to consider having it professionally installed ("professionally" doesn't usually include Best Buy). DEI also makes some very good remote start systems that integrate with their alarms.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
"push to start" is a factory feature if you have a manual transmission. Turn on the ignition, put it in second gear, get a friend to push you, and pop the clutch to start.

You may be able to find a Hornet 700T, Hornet 727T, or Viper 330V although they have been discontinued. They are stock system alarm upgrades. Basically, they add more sophisticated alarm features to a factory keyless entry or alarm system. The features include a full siren, "warn away" capability, and can handle multiple optional sensors such as motion sensor or glass break detection. The cool thing is that it uses your factory keyless entry fob. You can even wire it to use the factory alarm LED on the top of the dash. GM used to sell it in their own packaging as a dealer installed option. I installed one in my T/A and was very pleased with its performance and how it seemed just like a factory system. All the wiring can be done at the BCM (except the under-hood switch and the siren) so installation is quite straight forward. I've seen a few kicking around on sites like ebay for $50 but if you can't find one, I may still have one new in the box that I had planned to install in my wife's Envoy.

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with any of the DEI brand products (Viper, Hornet, Clifford, Python, etc.). They are the clear leader in the field. Just pick one based on your budget and the options you want. Installation can be challenging unless you've had a lot of experience with auto electrical systems so you might want to consider having it professionally installed ("professionally" doesn't usually include Best Buy). DEI also makes some very good remote start systems that integrate with their alarms.
Mine is a 1998 auto transmission.

I want a decent alarm system...but I also want a GPS tracker. Should have mentioned that....but I figured I would get a separate GPS set up. But today a guy mentioned that I should just buy the Viper Smart Start alarm system along with their GPS tracker.

Do you know which one that is.....is it a good solid set up so if my car gets taken I will know it immediately and I can track it immediately. Set up a "Fence" while its parked, basic stuff like that.
If you know which model Viper that is maybe I can find a video on Youtube.......

I've been unprotected for a couple years....I need to do something this week or next week.

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 12-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The SmartStart system is available in three models... go to this site to see the differences: https://www.viper.com/smartstart/products.aspx

You will have to subscribe to their GPS service for $100 per year and you can only buy from an authorized dealer who must do the installation.

Frankly, unless you frequent really bad neighborhoods, this is overkill since the chances of your car being stolen are really rather slim. These days the most commonly stolen vehicles are everyday drivers that are more valuable for their parts - like pickup trucks, Camrys, and Corollas. A basic alarm system with ignition kill (and maybe a tilt sensor if you're worried about the wheels) should be plenty for a 20 year old car because you want to discourage punks and joy-riders... pros won't be interested.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The SmartStart system is available in three models... go to this site to see the differences: https://www.viper.com/smartstart/products.aspx

You will have to subscribe to their GPS service for $100 per year and you can only buy from an authorized dealer who must do the installation.

Frankly, unless you frequent really bad neighborhoods, this is overkill since the chances of your car being stolen are really rather slim. These days the most commonly stolen vehicles are everyday drivers that are more valuable for their parts - like pickup trucks, Camrys, and Corollas. A basic alarm system with ignition kill (and maybe a tilt sensor if you're worried about the wheels) should be plenty for a 20 year old car because you want to discourage punks and joy-riders... pros won't be interested.
I hear ya....

I'm putting $11,000 into it soon, so I just want it protected. And if someone drives it they will most likely wrap it around a tree or destroy my car some other way.

I was looking into this....A few friends of mine installed this thing, it costs $30.00 on Amazon and has been working perfectly for well over 3 years for these guys. Lots of cool options it gives you.

The Viper authorized shop here local to me said they will install it for me...along with a $250.00 basic Viper alarm system that includes the remote engine start.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker Suggestion

If you need to increase your car security, you may want to check out Infinity Tracking. They are a UK based GPS provider and they are one of the best in the business. They offer free installation and has reasonably cheap prices as well! Check them out so you can know the perfect tracker for you.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-30-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Remove non-sponsor link
Old 08-01-2021, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

I'd suggest a large Doberman
Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really everyone mentioned all the good products.

For push to start I will throw out a brand called advancedkeys. All bells and whistles of a new car with keyless entry and keyless ignition.

I have yet to try it myself but a Tile tracker maybe a nice cheap gizmo to add to list. There’s YouTube videos on how it works rather me explaining it.

kill switches for fuel , spark are always good ideas especially if you set up a pattern for it.

I’m not too familiar with tunes but maybe set up a secondary tune that’s “valet mode”. Car shouldn’t drive more than 20mph.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Friend of many a few years ago paid a top shop to install a 1500 dollar alarm system in his Toyota Truck
about a week after he got it he came out one morning and the hood was open, they stole the alarm..
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If we're gonna revive this thread...

Compustar/Firstech is my go-to brand for alarms and remote starts. I have one in all three of my vehicles and they've worked nearly flawlessly in the 6+ years I've had them. Not only that, but I can probably count on one hand out of the thousands that I've installed in customer cars over the years that have outright failed. I'm always iffy on brands I've never heard of (typically sold on Amazon for like 20 bucks), and the Directed brands (Clifford, Viper, etc.) have (in my opinion) dropped in quality over the last few years, especially after they were bought by Audiovox.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Recommend a car alarm for me.......need a new one.