Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double din, Pioneer SPH-DA120 & Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Double din, Pioneer SPH-DA120 & Apple Carplay

Hi,

I thought I'd share a couple of photos of the double din bezel and Pioneer SPH-DA120 I installed last year. This is hands down my favorite improvement made to the car if for only one reason: Apple Carplay. Carplay provides a great experience for the iPhone crowd. The GPS and handsfree tech is seamless. With a few more cables, you can run dash command from the Pioneer head unit (which I did) and is a real treat for track day!

The backup camera is awesome too! The look is nearly factory. The Metra bezel is a pretty good fit. Not perfect but pretty good. I have a spare bezel for sale in market place FYI. The cable routing in the back is a very tight fit (I'm using both USB ports, the HDMI port all the RCA's including the backup camera). I ended up ordering 90° USB and HDMI jumpers to make it all work. A pain in the *** to align but it all fits and works great. I also had to buy an Apple HDMI to lighting converter to run Dash Command. When it's all said and done, the system works beautifully.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I took a couple of shots of the USB input. I removed the upper cig lighter and replaced with a USB/1/8 TRS jack. Looks stock.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

VERY similar to my set-up...even with the SLP shift ****!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-no-gaps.html

Did you paint your bezel to match? I bought mine from Double D Mods, back when they were a sponsor and they were selling pained to match Metra bezels. If you did NOT get if from Double D Mods, I'm curious what paint you used to get it to match the '98 gray interior.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
VERY similar to my set-up...even with the SLP shift ****!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-no-gaps.html

Did you paint your bezel to match? I bought mine from Double D Mods, back when they were a sponsor and they were selling pained to match Metra bezels. If you did NOT get if from Double D Mods, I'm curious what paint you used to get it to match the '98 gray interior.
That is similar! I didn't paint the metra panel at all. The head unit bezel matches the instrument bezel and actually looks factory. The long term plan was to have my factory bezel re-shaped to accommodate the double din head unit. There was a member here who offered to do this mod and it looked like he did quality work. I don't think he is still doing it. Maybe there is someone else?

I did the backup camera as well along with the microphone and integrated GPS. (I don't use the integrated GPS as the iPhone GPS integrates seamlessly). The backup cam is great. It's tucked in the license plate pocket and fastened from above. That little camera was $10 on amazon and the picture is very sharp.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, nice install! Did you upgrade speakers and add an amp?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same USB input with AUX input as well. I drilled a hole inside the console cubby and installed it in there. That way I can just put my phone away in there and everything is hidden.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zbugger
I have the same USB input with AUX input as well. I drilled a hole inside the console cubby and installed it in there. That way I can just put my phone away in there and everything is hidden.
Do you have a pic of this handy you would be willing to share. Still trying to map out my stereo and wiring plans in advance of making the purchases.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2thousand2
Looks good, nice install! Did you upgrade speakers and add an amp?
The car was equipped with MB quart component speakers and crossovers along with an amp and sub back when I bought it about 10 yrs ago. I did upgrade the sub a few years back. Last year I installed foil backed deadening and a layer of carpet padding to insulate the interior. The result was a huge reduction of exterior noise and drone. And with the AC on, the interior stays cold much longer in the summer. Here's a pic of the deadening and one of the crossovers. I was about 3/4 thru installing the foil backed deadening in that pic.

I did replace the factory sail panel speakers with an appropriate replacement speaker when I installed the head unit. I forget the brand.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks excellent. I’ve been severely torn between keeping my 02 SOM original-ish and modernizing. This thread has me favoring the latter now. Great time to replace/upgrade the carpet, add material for sound deadening, and upgrade the audio system. Gotta love CarPlay. Also, can’t forget to throw in a couple of Corbeau sport leather seats to tie the package together.

Sad thing this is just some of the broader points of the interior and doesn’t take into account exterior renovations. If my wallet only knew, it would run for its life.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by areax
Looks excellent. I’ve been severely torn between keeping my 02 SOM original-ish and modernizing. This thread has me favoring the latter now. Great time to replace/upgrade the carpet, add material for sound deadening, and upgrade the audio system. Gotta love CarPlay. Also, can’t forget to throw in a couple of Corbeau sport leather seats to tie the package together.

Sad thing this is just some of the broader points of the interior and doesn’t take into account exterior renovations. If my wallet only knew, it would run for its life.
You won't regret modernizing! It really elevated the enjoyment of driving in this car!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

clean install I really like the usb port that you put in place of the cigarette lighter. What backup camera did you install? Also do you happen to have a pic of what it looks like mounted? Im interested ion adding a backup camera to mine, already have an older pioneer double din.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
clean install I really like the usb port that you put in place of the cigarette lighter. What backup camera did you install? Also do you happen to have a pic of what it looks like mounted? Im interested ion adding a backup camera to mine, already have an older pioneer double din.
Back up cam linked below. I'll take a photo when I return home from traveling.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Here's a couple of pics. You really have to look for the camera to see it. The camera has it's own alignment lines so you have to turn off the lines on the pioneer head unit otherwise two sets of alignment lines appear.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Here's a couple of pics. You really have to look for the camera to see it. The camera has it's own alignment lines so you have to turn off the lines on the pioneer head unit otherwise two sets of alignment lines appear.

looks like a nice camera for the price plus I like the fact its not noticeable...thanks for the pic