Double din, Pioneer SPH-DA120 & Apple Carplay - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Double din, Pioneer SPH-DA120 & Apple Carplay

Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Default Double din, Pioneer SPH-DA120 & Apple Carplay

Hi,

I thought I'd share a couple of photos of the double din bezel and Pioneer SPH-DA120 I installed last year. This is hands down my favorite improvement made to the car if for only one reason: Apple Carplay. Carplay provides a great experience for the iPhone crowd. The GPS and handsfree tech is seamless. With a few more cables, you can run dash command from the Pioneer head unit (which I did) and is a real treat for track day!

The backup camera is awesome too! The look is nearly factory. The Metra bezel is a pretty good fit. Not perfect but pretty good. I have a spare bezel for sale in market place FYI. The cable routing in the back is a very tight fit (I'm using both USB ports, the HDMI port all the RCA's including the backup camera). I ended up ordering 90 USB and HDMI jumpers to make it all work. A pain in the *** to align but it all fits and works great. I also had to buy an Apple HDMI to lighting converter to run Dash Command. When it's all said and done, the system works beautifully.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

I took a couple of shots of the USB input. I removed the upper cig lighter and replaced with a USB/1/8 TRS jack. Looks stock.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

VERY similar to my set-up...even with the SLP shift ****!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-no-gaps.html

Did you paint your bezel to match? I bought mine from Double D Mods, back when they were a sponsor and they were selling pained to match Metra bezels. If you did NOT get if from Double D Mods, I'm curious what paint you used to get it to match the '98 gray interior.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6 View Post
VERY similar to my set-up...even with the SLP shift ****!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-no-gaps.html

Did you paint your bezel to match? I bought mine from Double D Mods, back when they were a sponsor and they were selling pained to match Metra bezels. If you did NOT get if from Double D Mods, I'm curious what paint you used to get it to match the '98 gray interior.
That is similar! I didn't paint the metra panel at all. The head unit bezel matches the instrument bezel and actually looks factory. The long term plan was to have my factory bezel re-shaped to accommodate the double din head unit. There was a member here who offered to do this mod and it looked like he did quality work. I don't think he is still doing it. Maybe there is someone else?

I did the backup camera as well along with the microphone and integrated GPS. (I don't use the integrated GPS as the iPhone GPS integrates seamlessly). The backup cam is great. It's tucked in the license plate pocket and fastened from above. That little camera was $10 on amazon and the picture is very sharp.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good, nice install! Did you upgrade speakers and add an amp?

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: