Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Decent sound on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Decent sound on a Budget

My car is going more the way of a drag car but it's still driven on the street and I'm planning on doing drag week with it this year. That being said the stereo is in need of a change up. Had an old Alpine HU I wasn't impressed with in it. Looking for a HU with Bluetooth and a set of speakers that will sound decent being powered by the internal amp of the HU. The car had an MTX sub enclosure for a rockford sub and alpine amp but that's currently for sale because I need a spot to mount the battery and nitrous bottle. Has some old *** junk yard pull out speakers in it currently. Not looking to break the bank by any means, and I know I'm not going to get mind blowing audio, but what's an ok HU speaker combo these days? Thanks in advance for the help!!

This is in a 95 camaro and I've already run new speaker wire to all 4 speaker locations.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey. I spent just a little more than you want probably but I was also looking for the same deal. I replaced all the speaker wire and added the following. New Kicker coaxial door speakers (red box) , same speakers in the rear area, a Kicker 10 in a box that mounts in the drivers side open space, double din head unit, and a JL Audio 5 channel amp. The head unit is a lower line Kenwood unit with a new deal to fit it in. The only really costly part was the JL Audio amp. I have about $400 in speakers and box, $300 in the head unit, $75 or so in wiring and inter connect cables and fuse, The amp was around $500 and the panel for the double din was an eBay special $40 or so. I tuned it to "Walk" by Pantera and it sounds really decent and you still have all the room you need. This is the smallest system that I have built in a very long time. It's funny how much I like it. I hope this helps.​​​​​​​
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Were talking about a '95 here, so much of what you describe won't easily fit (i.e. double DIN head unit is more difficult to fit in the dash and there are no hatch area speakers).

Stick with brand name components like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, etc. then just shop the features and price point that fits your budget. For speakers, any decent coaxial speakers should work well in the doors and sail panels.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Sweet, yea I've got a 95 so single din and just 4 speakers. I had a MTX sub box where the factory bose once was but I'm pulling that for weight and space to mount nitrous and remote the battery. Good looks guys. Trying to keep it fairly cheap, didn't know if any of the name brand HU's had any more built in amp power than others that you all may know of. I'll do some shopping!