Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Clockspring replacement without steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Clockspring replacement without steering wheel controls

Hey gang. I've seen the write ups of how to replace the clock spring and add steering wheel controls. I'm planning on running a racing steering wheel but I'm pretty sure my clock spring is broken and my horn doesn't work. Would the clocksprong affect the horn working? And also if I just need to replace the clockspring without adding steering wheel controls I don't need to pull everything in the wiring and such right? Just pull the wheel and change the clocksrping right there on the column right?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The wiring is part of the clockspring. You have to run the wires when you change the piece.

The horn contact is part of the cancel cam and that's cheap and easy to replace if that's broken. Usually the little plastic tab that holds the wire snaps off from age.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bammax
The wiring is part of the clockspring. You have to run the wires when you change the piece.

The horn contact is part of the cancel cam and that's cheap and easy to replace if that's broken. Usually the little plastic tab that holds the wire snaps off from age.
Ok, hopefully that's all that it is. My Airbag light is on and I changed my steering wheel from a Z28 to an SS wheel many years ago and I cant remember if I just didn't hook it up or if I was a dumb teenager and spun my steering wheel freely and snapped the spring hahaha! I've read on here that the clock spring is really expensive for the steering wheel control model. Is a non wheel control one just as expensive?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The issue with the clock spring is that you can only find them used. If you find someone willing to pull theirs or a junkyard that has it then you can get them fairly cheap, but trying to get nos is going to be pricey. Expect to spend $50 or so for it on ebay or the forum.
​​​​​​
The cancel cam is available at any parts store for under $20 last time I looked
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

PM sent
Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bammax
The issue with the clock spring is that you can only find them used. If you find someone willing to pull theirs or a junkyard that has it then you can get them fairly cheap, but trying to get nos is going to be pricey. Expect to spend $50 or so for it on ebay or the forum.
​​​​​​
The cancel cam is available at any parts store for under $20 last time I looked
Cancel cam?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

new clocksprings are NLA......used is your only hope.......if you can find one
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
new clocksprings are NLA......used is your only hope.......if you can find one
Thanks man. I believe I have one lined up if mine is actually broken. I don't know for sure if mine is or if I just didn't connect the bag. Do you guys know if I can visually inspect it to see if it is in-fact broken by just taking the wheel off?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

you cannot tell if its broke externally.....you can hook up the wires from the used CS at the base of the steering wheel to see if the airbag light goes out

be sure to use the right procedure for installation

my son broke his and got a used one....it is a very DIY job
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
26087234_3 (1).pdf (63.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a way to test the continuity of it with a multimeter before pulling it apart?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can test the horn connection by disconnecting connector C216 (11-pin flat connector attached to the base of the steering column). It has ten wires and an empty position at one end. Near that empty position you will have black, light green, black, and light blue wires (in that order). The second black wire is for the horn. First test the vehicle end of the connector by grounding that second black wire... the horn should blow. If not then you have a bad horn relay, bad horns, or a problem with the wiring between them. If it does blow then use a test light or multimeter to test that the second black wire in the steering column end of the connector goes to ground when the horn button is pressed. Assuming it doesn't (because one end has to fail otherwise your horns would be working) then you should remove the steering wheel pad and check the horn switches there - you either have bad switches, bad ground, or a broken connection in the column... probably the clock spring.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

forgot to add......steering wheel control CS are different than non-control ones.......be sure you get the right one