Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

converting manual cloth seats to power lumbar leather 2002 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Default converting manual cloth seats to power lumbar leather 2002 Formula

So I recently bought a set of power leather seats with power lumbar and bolsters from a Trans Am to put into my 2002 Formula. Currently my car has cloth with the power drivers seat and manual passenger seat. I've been trying to read up about the wiring and there aren't many threads about it or at least nothing I can find but I've seen mentioned that most if not all cars have the same harness under the carpet meaning the harness and connector is there just not in use with cars that don't have the power seats. Is this correct? Will these seats literally plug in and go with the harness in the car? I know the seats have to connect to each other with air lines for the lumbar support but are those connectors present as well? Would like to sort this out before I go pulling my seats out.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

As far as I know the air lines have to be swapped in with the seats. The passenger seat gets its air from the drivers seat so there's no reason they would put the line in on a non lumbar car since there's nothing to plug it into.

The wiring harness for the passenger side is really just the power and ground since all the controls are in the seat. I've seen a few cars with manual seats that have the wiring harness under the carpet, but I don't know if it's standard practice.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
As far as I know the air lines have to be swapped in with the seats. The passenger seat gets its air from the drivers seat so there's no reason they would put the line in on a non lumbar car since there's nothing to plug it into.

The wiring harness for the passenger side is really just the power and ground since all the controls are in the seat. I've seen a few cars with manual seats that have the wiring harness under the carpet, but I don't know if it's standard practice.
Ok thanks, I figured this was the case, I just found a post in another thread where someone said they had to buy a separate wiring harness which must be the wiring and air lines that go between the two seats.