Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

02 Camaro under dashboard electrical help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro under dashboard electrical help.

just recently purchased my 2002 Camaro SS. When I purchased the vehicle all my electronics were in working order. I had a shop install a stereo unit because free installation came with purchase so I thought I'd take advantage of it. Bad idea. I get my Camaro back and now none of my gages are functioning speedo, tack, even my odometer doesn't appear anymore witch I don't understand because the back lights work and can dim and Brighten. My traction control doesn't function properly and is stuck on. The car does have an aftermarket alarm with remote start that still functions as it should but I noticed the fuse holders on the remote start wiring harness are slightly melted. While stereo was being installed they disconnected the steering wheel interface so now my steering wheel buttons don't function. I'm completely lost on to where to even start as there is absolutely no blown fuses at all. I unwired the stereo and capped all the wires still nothing. Going to unwire alarm with remote start and see what that does. Is there anything else I need to check change or do in order to fix my issue or will I have to start replacing parts such as wiring harness or even instrument cluster? I appreciate any assistance I can get at this point I'm completely clueless as to what to do.
Thank you all for your time
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The first thing would be to take it back to the installer and make them fix it since they apparently broke it. Of course, if it was installed without a wiring harness adapter (i.e. it wasn't just plugged in to the factory harness... you said you "unwired" rather than "unplugged" the stereo) then maybe they are such amateurs that you'd be better off not letting them near the car.

Did you test the fuses or just look at them? It is quite possible for a fuse to be blown but still look okay. Test the GAUGES fuse with a fuse tester or multimeter or simply replace it with a new fuse to ensure that isn't the problem. The GAUGES fuse also powers the traction control switch so that is another indicator that the fuse is blown.