Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Switchback front turn signals.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback front turn signals.

Is it possible to have white Drls along with Amber on-off turn signals if I were to rewire the socket on a 98 Z28?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

This question has been asked and answered multiple times. A quick search would find that.

You would have to both bypass the DRL module and rewire the parking light side of the socket to an ignition switched power source.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Teching In

That is what I thought after reading just wanted to make sure. This would leave it white at all times when the headlights are on or off correct? I have no problem if that is the case. And the bypass DRL would have it just turn amber-off-amber with the t/s switch.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, connecting the parking/running light side of the bulb socket to ignition switched power will make the bulbs white at all times when the ignition is on regardless of whether the headlights are on or not. Whether they will flash amber-off-amber or amber-white-amber is a function of whether you use type 1 or type 2 switchback bulbs - it is not related to the vehicle wiring. Type 1 bulbs flash amber-white-amber whereas type 2 bulbs flash amber-off-amber.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Thank you WhiteBird00 that is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

VLED's sells a switchback with a DRL module. It does exactly what you describe. I messed up something with the wiring and haven't had a chance to fix it. It works fine in daytime, but they have a dimmer wire and I think I connected that wrong.

Anyway... you don't have to mess with all that stuff. There is a plug and play expensive solution.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Do you have to purchase the hyperflash kit option or will that be fixed with a new flasher on the Vled kit?

Last edited by Jay Spears; 03-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
VLED's sells a switchback with a DRL module. It does exactly what you describe. I messed up something with the wiring and haven't had a chance to fix it. It works fine in daytime, but they have a dimmer wire and I think I connected that wrong.

Anyway... you don't have to mess with all that stuff. There is a plug and play expensive solution.
What is this VLEDs DRL module called? I've been looking around the site and can't find anything like what you describe. I suppose such a module would be set up to differentiate between a constant power signal (DRL) and a flashing one (turn signals) on the same wire and use that to switch between the amber and white LEDs. That would be a pretty slick solution. I can also see how it would be expensive... I'm a big fan of VLEDs but they are rather proud of their products.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Interested in this plug and play method..
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What is this VLEDs DRL module called? I've been looking around the site and can't find anything like what you describe. I suppose such a module would be set up to differentiate between a constant power signal (DRL) and a flashing one (turn signals) on the same wire and use that to switch between the amber and white LEDs. That would be a pretty slick solution. I can also see how it would be expensive... I'm a big fan of VLEDs but they are rather proud of their products.
I have seen it as an option you can add for $30 when you purchase the bulbs. It is calledcall HDRL module when I looked up the 3157 switchback lights. I have not seen the individual component for sell. You are correct about them being proud if the products they are pretty steep in price.

Last edited by Jay Spears; 03-19-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

$30 is a very reasonable price for such a module and I would recommend it if that was the only factor. The problem is that the module is only available with the $130 Triton switchback LEDs. While the Triton LEDs are the best available, they are several times more expensive than other options. It's up to you whether it's better to do the wiring with $25 switchbacks or spend $160 for the VLEDs system. I love plug-and-play systems but sometimes the cost is too high.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I am also looking to get a set of depo headlight housing and new bulbs for low/high beams. Would I be better off getting the blackbird lighting solutions kit that can get either a 4500k or 5500k bulbs or get just the housings and go with 5000k Vled bulbs to match?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

So last year when I did this I called VLED to ensure this would work on our cars. It will. Just to let you know I did have one of these go out after a short time. I got some of the first run of their new V6 modules which I think is why I got a bad one. They sent me a new one quickly.

VLED sells the HDRL module alone. Look under accessory / wiring or something. They are $15 each. To test these out I used a 9V battery. When you keep the battery on the input they are steady white, when you put it on and off simulating a flasher they turn amber, hold it on again and turns white again. They also sell pigtails and extension cables. Their stuff is super expensive for what it is. It comes in a pretty package that no place indicates where they are made cause we already know that... Since I know what I know now because I bought all the stuff, I would do things differently. With knowing the pinout, the HDRL could be used with any LED. I would buy the HDRL an extension and pigtail so I wouldn't have to chop the wires off the HDRL module.

Ok now your question about headlights. I bought the DEPO housing, they are nice for the price. Then I got morimoto projectors from theretrofitsource. This is what blackbird lighting uses. I got the kit with their standard bulb. That bulb sucked, the pattern was bad and the color didn't match left to right, so they sent me a morimoto replacement for a discount. It isn't very difficult to do the retrofit. Just heat the lamp take em apart and install the projector. Hardest part is not making a mess with the sealer. They come with a wiring harness with relays. They have a bulb holder that is better, I would opt for that, I didn't. These are bi-HID projectors. Meaning they have a shutter that is closed for low beam and opens for high beam. The wiring at the switch will need to be modified to keep the HID on when high beams are one, meaning 4 lights will be on. I bought some blue tint high beams cheap just so they vaguely matched the low beams.

I personally would not put an LED in the headlamp. It needs to be exactly the correct placement from the reflector to simulate the Halogen bulb it is replacing. You also can't put and HID in a reflector housing, the light will bounce all over the place.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Teching In

I did find where to buy the items individually on the site. It looks like you can make your own plug and play kit with whatever switchback you want. That looks like a good way to go about it. Also 00PewterSS you said you had an issue with a part from Vled went bad after awhile but they sent you a replacement. Was this the HDRL module or the v6 bulb?

Edit: So I priced what I would need for a plug and play kit. If I replaced my burnt socket with a new one going into a Vled bulb adapter going into the HDRL module attached to a pigtail wired into a second 3157 socket for Morimoto switchback led. This solution required buying separate items but comes to around $110-$115 compared to the full Vled kit with v6 Triton bulb at $160. Both of these are fully plug and play solutions and a price difference of around $50 which I doubt the vled Triton bulbs are that much if a difference over the Morimoto x-vf bulbs.

Last edited by Jay Spears; 03-20-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Good, looks like you got it figured out. I had a v6 bulb go bad, quickly... again I expect this was just a start of production quality issue.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Teching In

These do seems fairly new as a couple of years ago I looked at vleds website and they had the V3 which was replaced by the new V6 Tritons. Now I just need to get me some new turn signal housing to match the BLS HIDs and some new turn signal sockets as well.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

HDRL adapter by itself.. you need 2

https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/...ontroller.html
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
HDRL adapter by itself.. you need 2

https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/...ontroller.html
I know I can do it with just the HDRL adapter but I want to make a full plug and play kit with different switchbacks and be able to go back to factory.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

I had an issue with mine that I thought was because of the way I wired it. The issue was in daytime mode the turn would work, but would sometimes flash white sometimes amber. I thought this was related to the dimmer wire, but it was not. I figured out that in night mode the flasher module had sufficient load to work properly, in day mode it didn't. I swapped out my EL12 flasher module for a EF32RL and it works perfectly. I think the EL12 would work fine with a load resistor, but the EF32RL costs $10.

Bottom line, get a fully electronic flasher module EF32RL!!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Thank you 00pewterSS I was looking at getting that flasher as I plan on going full led lights anyway around the car eventually. Would the full electronic flasher make my rear signals act weird until I switch them out with LEDs later down the road?

EDIT: I should be ordering all the items in the coming weeks to get this project going. I will take pictures and try and get them uploaded on here.

Last edited by Jay Spears; 03-29-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Search this Thread