Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Optical/Coax SPDIF vs 6 channel RCA

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Optical/Coax SPDIF vs 6 channel RCA

I have been looking at different EQ/Crossover options, and noticed that Alpine has one that has an optical and coax SPDIF input. Seems like that would be much better than running 6 RCA channels.

Anyone have any experience with SPDIF instead of RCA?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have an opinion on using SPDIF vs RCA?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

I guess SPDIF isn't a big deal then. I figured shielded RCAs would be plenty.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPDIF or Digital Coax would definitely be better than regular analog over RCA. Problem is, the equipment is usually much more expensive. You'd need a headunit with a digital output and at least an EQ or amp with a digital input. In home theater this is almost ubiquitous now, but in cars it's not yet the norm it seems.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Launching!

To summarize, definitely use SPDIF or digital coax if you have the option and don't mind spending the extra money
Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

I plan on getting an Alpine DSP that has SPDIF inputs, but the only double DIN head unit I can find is by Joying.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Optical is great for home audio. It's probably 10 years away for car audio. Plus with all the streaming tech that's coming optical may never make it to car audio. Any day now we'll be hearing about wireless car speakers and the entire game will change.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bammax
Optical is great for home audio. It's probably 10 years away for car audio. Plus with all the streaming tech that's coming optical may never make it to car audio. Any day now we'll be hearing about wireless car speakers and the entire game will change.
wow. maybe I should pause on my stereo then. Wireless would be pretty damn nice.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for high quality audio and WiFi introduces a whole other set of potential issues. The only point of wireless would be installer convenience and you'd still have to wire your speakers (power and ground instead of audio signal) so you really don't gain anything there. In a home, yes - there are power outlets everywhere and pulling wire in the walls can be really inconvenient. But not in a car.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I wouldn't hold my breath. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for high quality audio and WiFi introduces a whole other set of potential issues. The only point of wireless would be installer convenience and you'd still have to wire your speakers (power and ground instead of audio signal) so you really don't gain anything there. In a home, yes - there are power outlets everywhere and pulling wire in the walls can be really inconvenient. But not in a car.
Well Bluetooth APT-X is pretty nice nowdays
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Wireless speakers don't exist yet and doubt they will anytime soon. They all have to be plugged in somewhere
Old 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
Well Bluetooth APT-X is pretty nice nowdays
Yes, it's better and might be a possibility in the future but for now it's still only "near CD quality" because of the compression needed.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, it's better and might be a possibility in the future but for now it's still only "near CD quality" because of the compression needed.
That's one of the things I don't understand about people streaming music from their phone to the hu. The signal compression through Bluetooth has to be undone or you get worse than fm quality sound. People seem to be ok with it though because it's a popular option.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

That's one of the things I don't understand about people streaming music from their phone to the hu. The signal compression through Bluetooth has to be undone or you get worse than fm quality sound. People seem to be ok with it though because it's a popular option.
That is what I am curious about with wireless Android Auto. Does the sound quality get compromised?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Most people aren't audiophiles and wouldn't notice the difference if the the drummer hit them in the face. So highly compressed lo-fidelity music w/ bad engineering built in rules.

As far as running digital, it could be a toss up. you're adding another layer of ad-da conversion which can introduce noise.

Higher quality components along w/ higher voltage output on the HU's goes a long way to getting a good clean signal. 4v and 5v rca outputs will be better than 2v, And be sure the rca's are run away from power or other electronics that can introduce noise.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
Most people aren't audiophiles and wouldn't notice the difference if the the drummer hit them in the face. So highly compressed lo-fidelity music w/ bad engineering built in rules.

As far as running digital, it could be a toss up. you're adding another layer of ad-da conversion which can introduce noise.

Higher quality components along w/ higher voltage output on the HU's goes a long way to getting a good clean signal. 4v and 5v rca outputs will be better than 2v, And be sure the rca's are run away from power or other electronics that can introduce noise.
What about twisted pair RCAs? Do those work like network cables to reduce interference?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
That is what I am curious about with wireless Android Auto. Does the sound quality get compromised?
No, not really. Wireless Android Auto uses WiFi so it doesn't have bandwidth limitation of Bluetooth connections. However, you may still have sound quality issues depending on the source you're using. Internet streaming has it's own limitations so unless you have the source material locally stored on you phone, you may not get the best quality sound.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
What about twisted pair RCAs? Do those work like network cables to reduce interference?
It certainly wont hurt any. I know I've read about tests being done on that but don't remember the results.

Honestly I don't think you're as likely to pick up noise from the rca's as you are w/ grounding problems. And a lot of the problems people have had w/ rca's introducing noise were either bad cables or poorly run cables, running them next to computers or near ignition boxes.