Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fixing Monsoon head unit/changer ERR codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Monsoon head unit/changer ERR codes?

Hi everyone,

I have a family member that just got a pretty good deal on a 2002 Z28, and I've been helping him go through some of the typical wear/non-working stuff on these cars. One area of issue is the Monsoon sound system. Has the Monsoon CD, rear changer, etc. The radio AM works fine, but the FM is pretty low volume on all local stations. The CD only displays ERR, despite being cleaned out & the lens carefully cleaned.

I took apart the non-working changer, which wouldn't eject and found a 2002 vintage, broken 3 Doors Down cd jammed in it. After cleaning it up, it now plays, but occasionally doesn't want to eject or displays ERR switching disks

First off, I figured the head unit probably should just be swapped out. I read the Monsoon FAQ on here and thought I could get either a Monsoon logo or standard Delco unit, but I was told by someone else that the non Monsoon stamped units will overheat used with the amp/speaker set up. So now I'm confused about that.

I'd love some advice on ironing out the issues with the head unit and changer. We want to keep the system (and most of the car) stock, so I don't really want to go aftermarket audio components. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Whoever told you that a non-Monsoon head unit would overheat because of the Monsoon amp setup hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. The amp is designed to take speaker level input at 4-ohm impedance just like a base system would see from a set of speakers. All of the impedance differences, channel multiplication (4 inputs into 8 outputs), and signal filtering is handled internally in the amp. In fact, a Monsoon head unit is simply a standard Delco unit with a Monsoon logo added and there were many Monsoon systems that shipped from the factory without the extra logo. So yes, you can get a standard Delco head unit for use in your Monsoon system without experiencing any problems from the combination.

Now, there are differences between Camaro and Firebird head units. They are physically interchangeable and will work but there are some differences in appearance (faceplate color and illumination color) and features (speed sensitive volume, graphic equalizer, etc.). Also, you'll want to get a 2000+ model to ensure that it will work with the external CD changer. For 1998 and most of 1999, only cassette head units supported the external changer option.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I read that in your Monsoon FAQ (great info btw), but was then told by someone reselling/repairing various car radios that the regular Delco ones aren't compatible without "overheating". I'll forget that advice and still consider a standard unit from 2000+.

What is the difference between the Camaro unit and something that came out of like a Lumina/Blazer/Monte Carlo? Like GM #16210141. I see a lot of those advertised...will they work if made after 2000?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

1.5 DIN Delco head units from other Chevrolet models will fit and work in a Camaro. You may not have the speed sensitive volume depending on which particular model it comes from. The original Monsoon head unit part number for 2000+ is 10306067 and it is available on ebay for around $120. The original basic Delco head unit for 2000+ Camaro is part number 10300770 which was also used on 2000-2005 Cavalier, Monte Carlo, and Impala.