Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

07 Tahoe replacement radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe replacement radio

I got an 07 Tahoe with all kinds of crap on the radio - I guess they call it 'entertainment center'? It has gps - onstar - etc. etc.
Anyway, I just want to replace it with a nice radio that plays CD's. I hate gps and ALL the other stuff that they have now-a-days.

I am sure there are millions of different things to put in this unit - but I just want a radio and CD player THATS IT.

Can anyone suggest a replacement that will fit right in place of the existing unit?
Without any hassle or dealer reprogramming?

Another reason I want to get rid of this factory radio - There is a 7 to 8 voltage drop being caused by something that is screwed up in the factory unit. This in turn kills the battery and other stuff.
If anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it too..

Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Try going to Crutchfield's website, selecting your '07 Tahoe with Bose and navigation, and browse through the options available. You'll want double DIN because single DIN units will look decidedly out of place in your dash.

Because it's a Bose system, you won't be able to give up all of the features without also giving up the ability to fade the sound front-to-back but if you don't care about that then you can get one of the non-touchscreen models for about $120. Otherwise you should look at the touchscreen models starting at about $200 and adding the necessary adapters to retain fading control (about $65 extra). For about $100 more you can also retain the steering wheel controls along with Bluetooth, backup camera, and even satellite radio if you want it. Bluetooth is an important feature so you don't end up being one of those fools playing with their phone instead of watching the road.

Avoid the cheap brands like Dual and Boss... and especially Pyle (they're a "pyle" of s**t). Stick with brand names like Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, or even JVC or Jenson if you're so inclined. Also, be sure you check that the model you like has a CD player - many newer head units don't have disc players anymore.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot for that info. I don't even know what bluetooth is, and I never play with my phone while driving - makes no senses to me....
I probably will go with a Kenwood. Crutchfield seems to have all the bases covered when it comes to what I want.

I think I found the battery killer - it's the onstar module ( I think). Gonna disconnect that by taking the cover off the module cover and removing the circuit board junction to the communication antenna.

Thanks again for the reply and info.