Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Camaro Headunit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro Headunit Upgrade

Hey LS1Tech... I have a 2002 Camaro M6 SS car with low mileage and all original condition. I'd like to keep it this way (mostly), however the factory Monsoon system leaves some to be desired. I have the steering wheel controls and 12 disc CD changer, I already checked with RetroSound however their headunit does not retain factory steering controls. So my question is what headunit will look awesome in that space without making the center stack look god awful. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Until recently, there weren't any 1.5 DIN head units to fit the factory opening. Audiovox, Pioneer and Alpine used to make 1.5 DIN models but they've all been long discontinued. Now there is the RetroSound Newport model - nice but not complete. Other than that one unit, you're going to have to go with a different size. For the most part, that means double DIN since a single DIN will definitely look like an aftermarket add-on. Installing a double DIN will require a new trim bezel or modifying your own to fit the slightly larger face. There are plenty of threads in this forum showing double DIN conversions.

There isn't a head unit anywhere that will allow you to retain use of your factory external CD changer but almost all new units will retain steering wheel controls with the use of an adapter. There's lots of information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, including what other parts you'll need (steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness adapter, etc.).
Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Until recently, there weren't any 1.5 DIN head units to fit the factory opening. Audiovox, Pioneer and Alpine used to make 1.5 DIN models but they've all been long discontinued. Now there is the RetroSound Newport model - nice but not complete. Other than that one unit, you're going to have to go with a different size. For the most part, that means double DIN since a single DIN will definitely look like an aftermarket add-on. Installing a double DIN will require a new trim bezel or modifying your own to fit the slightly larger face. There are plenty of threads in this forum showing double DIN conversions.

There isn't a head unit anywhere that will allow you to retain use of your factory external CD changer but almost all new units will retain steering wheel controls with the use of an adapter. There's lots of information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, including what other parts you'll need (steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness adapter, etc.).

Thanks this is great info. I'd be safe going with that RetroSound however I can't believe they don't have adaptors for steering wheel controls.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I agree with you there... the major audio brands have been including ports for steering wheel adapter connection for at least ten years. At this price point you'd think that RetroSound could do the same. There are brand name double DIN head units available for half the price with more features. But there isn't much choice for those who want to retain the 1.5 DIN size or don't have the option of upgrading to double DIN (we're fortunate to have that option in f-bodies).
Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 AM

I'm in the same boat with a 2002. I bought a cheapy as a start to figure it out. I've searched around and surprisingly there is very little out there on the hookup of older steering wheel controls. The Monsoon System only has 1 input wire from the steering wheel controls that I can tell from the PIN diagram. The new head unit has 2 wires labeled Key1 and Key2? Has anyone found the solution? Could it be as simple as only using key1 or splicing Key 1 and 2 together with the 1 blue input wire? Everything else matched up perfect including the back-up camera.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by redapache59
I'm in the same boat with a 2002. I bought a cheapy as a start to figure it out. I've searched around and surprisingly there is very little out there on the hookup of older steering wheel controls. The Monsoon System only has 1 input wire from the steering wheel controls that I can tell from the PIN diagram. The new head unit has 2 wires labeled Key1 and Key2? Has anyone found the solution? Could it be as simple as only using key1 or splicing Key 1 and 2 together with the 1 blue input wire? Everything else matched up perfect including the back-up camera.
Let's start with what cheap head unit and which steering wheel adapter you bought. That way we can give you more specific advice.

There is only one wire for steering wheel control in the factory harness and there should be a remote control connector port (like a 3.5mm headphone port) on the head unit. The exception is Kenwood which uses a blue/yellow wire instead of the 3.5mm port. You should not be connecting the dark blue steering wheel control wire directly to the head unit without an adapter like a PAC SWI-JACK, SWI-PS, or one of several other adapters. The adapter has the correct 3.5mm plug (and the blue/yellow wire for Kenwood) to connect to the head unit. Also, you should not be connecting any wires from the factory connector directly to the head unit without a harness adapter.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought this adapter many moons ago from a guy in Canada I believe. Maybe someone here remembers who he is.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Assuming you are referring to the trim bezel, it's called HUMount from a company called MAPtech Enterprises. They are not a sponsor but you can find them quickly by Googling "humount".
Old 06-15-2019, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Let's start with what cheap head unit and which steering wheel adapter you bought. That way we can give you more specific advice.

There is only one wire for steering wheel control in the factory harness and there should be a remote control connector port (like a 3.5mm headphone port) on the head unit. The exception is Kenwood which uses a blue/yellow wire instead of the 3.5mm port. You should not be connecting the dark blue steering wheel control wire directly to the head unit without an adapter like a PAC SWI-JACK, SWI-PS, or one of several other adapters. The adapter has the correct 3.5mm plug (and the blue/yellow wire for Kenwood) to connect to the head unit. Also, you should not be connecting any wires from the factory connector directly to the head unit without a harness adapter.
The newer Chinese units have key 1, key 2 and a brown ground wire specifically for steering wheel controls so there's no converter needed. Once you connect the appropriate wire in the harness to the steering wheel control wire in the adapter you then use a program in the head unit settings to teach the head unit how to interpret the signal. These Chinese units are actually very advanced compared to the brand name stuff.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know if that guy is still in business or where I can get this done at?
Old 03-24-2024, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know if that guy is still in business or where I can get this done at?