Notices
Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

What 4 channel amp?

Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 4 channel amp?

Looking for a suitable amp to power my CDT KA-61s. Rated for 190 watts RMS @ a High-Pass of 130hz (I assume that is for the pair), probably gonna run them with a much lower high-pass than that. Would this amp be suitable?

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-CLUB-704-1000W-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B01IXZH1PU/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=4+channel+amp&qid=1562932036&s=gateway&sr=8-18 https://www.amazon.com/JBL-CLUB-704-1000W-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B01IXZH1PU/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=4+channel+amp&qid=1562932036&s=gateway&sr=8-18
Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry but your spec doesn't make any sense. High pass (and low pass) filtering has nothing to do with power output. That's just signal filtering to manage the input to speakers with limited range such as subs and tweeters. The power doesn't vary due to signal filtering.

Power output varies with speaker impedance. That amp can produce 100W RMS into four channels at 2-ohms, 70W RMS into four channels at 4-ohms, or 145W RMS into two channels (bridged) at 4-ohms.

If you're using the CDT crossover with your door speakers then there is no need to use the amp filtering - just leave it set to full range and let the crossover handle the tweeter. The KA-61 is a full range speaker with a range of 65-20kHz so it can handle the amp's output without filtering.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Teching In

The specs on the speaker itself says 190w RMS @ HPF of 130hz, not the amp, duh, and when I installed the speakers the instructions just said to use the stock wiring, the high pass filter for my tweeters wasn't damaged in any way so I just reused it and have had no trouble, I don't have the CDT crossovers. So when I run new wire to the doors directly from the amp run it in full range it gonna send anything from 10hz to 40khz to the woofer, obviously that's not ideal. I thought maybe using the high pass on the amp and then low pass the signal on my Kenwood deck, effectively bandpassing the woofer.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Ungrounded Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still don't know what you're talking about. The specs for the CDT KA-61 (according to CDT themselves) are 100W RMS, 65-20kHz, 91dB sensitivity... no mention of filtering because speakers, like amps, aren't rated that way. Filtering has nothing to do with power handling, duh.

You would not have been using the CDT crossovers because your were connected to the Monsoon amp which has separate channels for woofer and tweeter including passive high pass filters inline. Switching to this kind of amp will work better if you bridge for two channel output and use the CDT crossovers for the tweeters. The specs don't say but I seriously doubt you can get the amp's high pass filter down to 65Hz. Besides, at only 70 watts, a little signal below that isn't going to harm the speakers at all (you might get some distortion but nothing to worry about). That also applies to low pass at the upper end - humans can't hear much above 20kHz so almost nothing is recorded with frequencies higher than that. You don't have to worry about sending 40kHz signal to the tweeters because you don't have any source doing that and it would only annoy dogs anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Teching In

I got these speakers from Kee, and directly on his website the specs of the KA-61 for power is, "Power handling: 190Watt RMS @ 130Hz High-Pass" and I see no mention of the KA-61 anywhere on CDT's website. Don't blame me for repeating what it says from where I bought them. But thanks for the extra specs.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: