Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon E20 Error

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon E20 Error

Been getting the dreaded E20 error on my Monsoon radio. Pontiac says they'd replace the core for $350. Is this something I can fix myself? I think it's a CD-belt error.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

E20 : Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If the problem is not corrected, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.

I would chuck it, and buy an Alpine, Eclipse, or a Kenwood. You can buy a much better aftermarket deck for $350:
Alpine: http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...s.jsp?cid=7374

Eclipse: http://www.mobileonesales.com/product_p/cd5423.htm

Kenwood: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...925&svbname=16
Old 07-20-2004, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Damn it, Snootch, I'm getting really tired of agreeing with you all the time!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Ah, but the Monsoon is a 10-speaker system at 500 watts. None of the radios offered are as good that you suggested.

I've used a disk cleaner. Humidity in Denver is near-zero. I found that the player would work on cold mornings, but as it warmed up, it quit. If, on a cold day, I played a CD and turned on the heat, it'd last up to 2 hours. With the heat on, 15 minutes.

Dealer said it was a belt issue, but the E20 code at ACDelco suggests that it's a lens problem.

I really REALLY dig the 7-band EQ, and already have an external XM Commander attatched. I thought about the newer Monsoons set up in Cavaliers and Sunfires. Are they similar? Would it work on my system setup? Does the Monsoon display show neet things when XM is activated such as band name and title?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mikecronis
Ah, but the Monsoon is a 10-speaker system at 500 watts. None of the radios offered are as good that you suggested.
if you believe that, I've got some waterfront property in the everglades for sale...

Dont confuse quantity with quality.... The 500 watt figure they came up with is way exaggerated. MAYBE 500 watts of un-listenable square-wave distortion with 14.4 volts of power in, That's called MAX wattage... It doesn't mean a thing, what you want to look at is the RMS or contnious clean power rating. The output of those head units is only around 10-15 watts RMS EVEN THOUGH the specs say more... The amplifier in a head unit is a small IC chip, and it does not have anywhere near the power supply that an outboard amplifier does. If you choose to go the aftermarket route, I highly suggest purchasing the external amplifier, comparing the Monsoon system with it's 150-200 watts RMS of power to crappy speakers vs. 50 watts RMS of clean power to good, aftermarket speakers is like comparing apples to oranges. If you add the external aftermarket amp, you are essentialy replicating the Monsoon system, but using better, high performance parts.

Quick Reply: Monsoon E20 Error