Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OEM CD Changer Install Questions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question OEM CD Changer Install Questions . . .

I have aquired a 12 disc changer from a 1999 Camaro (I guess) from the front it looks identical to the new model CD changers, but the back is different. The part number I have is 25678544, and it clearly says "Pioneer" on the back.

This is a pic similar to what I have:

I am installing this changer into a 2002 Camaro, the OEM harness plugs into it and the unit gets power. The magazine will eject, and when you insert the cartridge with CD's in it it "sounds" like it "looks" at the trays for discs.

When I turn the car on, the head unit does not even acnowledge the unti is there, if I leave the car on and eject the cartridge and reinsert it, the head unit puts a little pictogram of a CD on the display, you hear the unit cycle through the CD's and then the Head Unit states "ERR" . . . .

So is there a conflict, or am a fubared with a toasted CD unit?

The other unit I have found is part number 16199553 which loooks like this:

Is this the one I really should use??

Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot answer your question to as which one to use. However, with my stock 12 disc changer in my 2000 WS6, it is very particular about the type of CD you use. I don't know if you tried a playing a CD that you burned yourself, but don't. Try an orginal CD to see if you get an "ERR". Also, be sure you have inserted the CD correctly into the magazine. This will sure cause you to get an "ERR". Good luck and I hope you get it working.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback . . . FYI they were all orginal CD's.

Short story: I WORKS NOW!!!!!

Long story: During shipping it appears that a small lever, that moves the CD's into the reader got jarred out of position, so the CD's would not move, basically a "jam". Pop the lever into place and WA LA! It works!

In my research on the CD changers:

Part Number 16199553 is a discontinued unit number.
Part Number 25678544 is availalbe new
Part Number 12371528 is a "kit" with most parts to install unit into virtually any car.
Part Number 12495743 is also a "kit"

This is some info I found on "ERR"

Err (Error): If this message appears on the display and/or the disc comes out, it could be for one of the following reasons:
If you’re driving on a very rough road. When the
road becomes smooth the disc should play.
If it’s very hot. When the temperature returns to normal, the disc should play.
The disc is upside down.
It is dirty, scratched or wet.
It is very humid. (If so, wait about an hour and
try again.)
If the CD is not playing correctly, for any other reason, try a known good CD.

Press RECALL to make ERR go off the display. If any error occurs repeatedly or if an error can’t be corrected, contact your dealer.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xsta Z 28, quick question, was the wiring for the changer already there? I have heard that back in the pocket in the T-top storage that the connector to add this option is already wired and ready to go? Was it there for you or did you have to wire?

Quick Reply: OEM CD Changer Install Questions . . .