Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mismatch Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mismatch Subs?

Alright.. other than looking a bit tacky.. Would this cause any issues.

I bought a subthump drivers side box ( Sony Xplod 10").. After the box arrived, my buddy made fun of me for paying what I did for it. He told that he could mirror it and make a passenger side box even better.

Alright.. I have new Kicker CompVR that's been sitting around for a while. Would it be bad sound wise to run a 10" on one side and a 12" on the other?

Any opinions welcome..
Old 08-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to come right out and say that it will, but it probably will sound bad.

Is he making fun of the sub or the box? It think the subthump stealthbox is worth every penny. Great construction and fit...
Old 08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PFDarkside
I'm not going to come right out and say that it will, but it probably will sound bad.

Is he making fun of the sub or the box? It think the subthump stealthbox is worth every penny. Great construction and fit...
Nah, he wasn't making fun of my sub..

He just said that I should have talked to him first because he definitely could have made that box for about $25 worth of mdf.

But yea... Now we're gonna build one for the passenger side. I'll just suck it up and get another sony sub to match..
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Actually, when doing a stealth, the the price of the box has very little to do with the cost of materials. About 95 percent of the total cost of that box is <u>time</u>. Unlike your friend, I don't work for free. When I build those boxes, I'm being paid for my labor and skill in making a compicated box like that. If that box was square on every corner, it wouldn't cost much at all. But every piece in that box is either angled or has a bevel of some degree and it takes time to cut all those pieces out accurately and put them together. Not to mention the time that was spent prototyping that area to begin with and getting the fit. Standing on my head with a tape and a flashlight. Somebody had to do it. It's easy to copy someone else's work. But making an original is something entirely different. And since your buddy is willing to donate anywhere from 10 to 30 hours of free time building you a box for the other side and it only cost you 25 bux, then that is a good deal. You should take him up on that.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by megabass
Actually, when doing a stealth, the the price of the box has very little to do with the cost of materials. About 95 percent of the total cost of that box is <u>time</u>. Unlike your friend, I don't work for free. When I build those boxes, I'm being paid for my labor and skill in making a compicated box like that. If that box was square on every corner, it wouldn't cost much at all. But every piece in that box is either angled or has a bevel of some degree and it takes time to cut all those pieces out accurately and put them together. Not to mention the time that was spent prototyping that area to begin with and getting the fit. Standing on my head with a tape and a flashlight. Somebody had to do it. It's easy to copy someone else's work. But making an original is something entirely different. And since your buddy is willing to donate anywhere from 10 to 30 hours of free time building you a box for the other side and it only cost you 25 bux, then that is a good deal. You should take him up on that.
I understand where you're coming from. I love the quality of your box and the fit.

I'm sure he understands what goes into making it also. I was in no way bashing you.

I plan to buy your amp rack any day now.

Hope there was no misunderstanding here.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

None taken. I just want people to see it from a different perspective once in awhile. Btw, I agree that mismatching the subs won't sound very good. It's best if you use two of the same
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by megabass
None taken. I just want people to see it from a different perspective once in awhile. Btw, I agree that mismatching the subs won't sound very good. It's best if you use two of the same

Thanks..
Just placed an order for another Xplod sub..

Should sound pretty good when I'm done with the install..