Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Removing the Dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Dash

Hi guys, i helping my friend wid his car its a 96 Pontiac Grand Am, i was wondering how i would take out the dash? like where the screws are located and stuff.....thanx
Old 08-25-2004, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Well, if it's anything like my 97 cavalier:
-Take off 2 side panels by sides of dash that go right up against the door (whole area by fuse panel and the same on pass. side), they just pop out and there should be some screws there. torx type i think.
-then inside the glovebox there's 2 screws you have to take off, they're going into a metal support hanging down from the top of the dash. so it's all the way at the top and recessed in above the glovebox, if u look around you should see what i'm talking about.
-then there's a couple more around the top of the glovebox i beleive too.
there's another one holding on the windshield defroster vent. then one or two underneath the vent.
-then i think the top should be loose. there's a ton of those poppers not in the dash, but in the plastic trim pieces in certain dash pieces too, like everywhere. so if it's stuck just try giving it a gentle pull.
-then most of it's self explanatory, if you see a screw that looks like it's holding something in take it out.

Best of luck, and if I can help any more just PM me. Best advice I can give you is to make sure you have screwdrivers, some kind of torx driver (looks like a star), and a bunch of small sockets with as many different extensions as you can find. Also, use a bunch of small snack ziplock baggies & a sharpie and as soon as you take out some screws in one area throw them in a bag, label it with the sharpie as to where they came out. A buddy of mine tried to tear apart the interior of his mustang and wound up finishing putting it back together with decking screws. I've torn down my cavalier and have yet to lose a screw.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:59 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the two main sockets you'll need are 10mm and 7mm and the grand am dash is a very different animal from the cav dash , why do you want to remove the dash , heater core?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I figured they'd be different, just thought I'd pitch in my knowledge. Well, Summoner, don't look around too long for those cavi bolts. Good luck.
-Woody
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Teching In

thanx Woody99 and badjuju342 for the help, actually im helping him put in a new sterio so wanna do it right sometimes theres screws in there that arn't visible, so i dont wanna break anything in his car a bit paranoid

thanx
Old 08-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Teching In

I think there are 2 7mm screws in the glove box. Then it should slide out towards the passenger side of the car. If you can post a pick of the dash I can tell you exactly, if that doesnt work.