Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aux input on 98 Firebird w/o CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux input on 98 Firebird w/o CD Changer

I have a AM/FM/Single CD player in my 98 Firebird w/ NO CD Changer - so can I use either the PIE GM9-AUX or the PAC AAI-GM9 to get an RCA input to my factory HU?

I did not see any posts specific to those of us w/o CD Changers...

any help?

Also, how big of difference is there between the wired FM modulator and the aux input (of course its subjective but....)

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Whether you actually had the CD Changer or not is irrelevant. Only the year and type of the headunit matters. The 1998 CD Player headunt cannot control a CD Changer and since that adapter converts the CD Changer port for use as RCA AUX, it can't be done. The headunit has to be able to control the factory CD Changer for that adapter to work. You can swap in a later headunit and gain this ability. I'd recommend a 2000 or later unit. Sometimes you can see them for sale in the Parts For Sale section.

BTW I have a 2001 CD Player hedaunit and I am using the PIE GM9-AUX. I bought it at www.myradiostore.com

As far as the sound quality difference between FM Modulation and a direct RCA input... Direct RCA input sounds better. With FM Modulation you can get static and my have to change the station its set to depending on where you drive (other stations may cut in). It also depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area, then FM Modulation should work without much inteference, but if you live in a metropolitan area then you may have interference. I used FM Modulation for a while but I got sick of it and upgraded to a Direct RCA connection.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
...As far as the sound quality difference between FM Modulation and a direct RCA input... Direct RCA input sounds better. With FM Modulation you can get static and my have to change the station its set to depending on where you drive (other stations may cut in). It also depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area, then FM Modulation should work without much inteference, but if you live in a metropolitan area then you may have interference. I used FM Modulation for a while but I got sick of it and upgraded to a Direct RCA connection.
This is true to a point (and is certainly true of the wireless modulators). The good hard-wired modulators provide sound better than a local FM radio station but not quite as good as a CD. I can only tell the difference when I'm sitting in the car without it running - on the road the difference is immaterial.

Wired modulators do not suffer from the static problems of the wireless versions and you won't have to change stations unless you happen to be on a frequency that has a particularly strong local station. The reason is that the wired modulators install inline in the antenna lead and block the signal from the regular antenna on the frequency that you select. In fact, the XM version of the wired modulator disconnects the regular antenna entirely whenever you turn on the receiver. You still get some strong stations but all the weaker stations disappear entirely as soon as you push the power button.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up emailed logjam electronics and that's pretty much the same answer i got about the 98s not being able to control the changer.

i wouldn't mind upgrading the Headunit because of other problems i'm having w/ it but i REALLY love the slider equalizer for quickly adjusting bass/treble. i would hate having to click 4 or 5 buttons just to change the bass when all i have to do now is slide the ****. can someone point me to a stock HU that is 2000 or later and I could use w/ one of these aux inputs that still has the equalizer (i also have the monsoon system)? probably a lot to to ask....but do they make ones w/ a CD/cassette combo?

this is what mine looks like....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW... i'm not too sure about the back b/c i haven't been able to get it out of the dash yet. i pop off the trim and take off the hex screws and when i go to pull it out...there is not enuf slack in the wiring for me to get behind the HU and unplug the harnesses. WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS? HOW DO I GET IT OUT!!!

ONE MORE THING....and this might need to go in another thread....but the display on the HU has been weird ever since i got it a couple years ago..sometimes the numbers are messed up and just look like symbols and then either it clears itself up or if you tap on the dash it fixes itself. and then when i was trying to remove the HU the other day and pulling on the wiring, the LEDs went out. so i put the HU back together and tapped the dash and it came on for a minute and then went off again and won't come back on now (even if i tap the dash). if the sun hits the display at just the right angle you read what it says but otherwise, i think the LEDs that light up the display have gone out.

If i knew the kind of LEDs it used I could probably take it apart and solder new ones on but what does everyone think i should do?

LOTS OF OPPORTUNITIES FOR INPUT...please help! :o) thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This is true to a point (and is certainly true of the wireless modulators). The good hard-wired modulators provide sound better than a local FM radio station but not quite as good as a CD.
Mine was wired inline. It still exhibited the same issues.

Originally Posted by uofmrapper
i wouldn't mind upgrading the Headunit because of other problems i'm having w/ it but i REALLY love the slider equalizer for quickly adjusting bass/treble. i would hate having to click 4 or 5 buttons just to change the bass when all i have to do now is slide the ****. can someone point me to a stock HU that is 2000 or later and I could use w/ one of these aux inputs that still has the equalizer (i also have the monsoon system)?
All 1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird Monsoon heaunits look like the one you pictured with an EQ.

probably a lot to to ask....but do they make ones w/ a CD/cassette combo?
There were no OEM Monsoon headunits 1998-2002 in the F-body with both Cassette and CD.

i'm not too sure about the back b/c i haven't been able to get it out of the dash yet. i pop off the trim and take off the hex screws and when i go to pull it out...there is not enuf slack in the wiring for me to get behind the HU and unplug the harnesses. WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS? HOW DO I GET IT OUT!!!
I haven't had any problems. there is enough slack in my harness. Look/feel aroun for places that the harnes is cought on. You can put you arm through the gap where the dash meets the console and carpet.. Remove all jewelry and watches before you put your hand/arm in there (you might get stuck).

but the display on the HU has been weird ever since i got it a couple years ago
I'm on my third one now. The display eventually acts odd and dies. It happened in less than a year each time and I got it replaced under the one year warranty they give on replaced parts.

NOTES:
* The 2000 headunit can only control one AUX input whereas the 2001+ headunit can control multiple AUX inputs (just tap the button to cycle through inputs)
* The button to the right of the CD slot will say "CD/Play". Tap it to cycle between the cd player in the headunit and the CD Changer port (which you will convert to RCA AUX-IN)
* When you first hook everything up with the PIE GM9-AUX, don't worry that you dont immediately have sound. They display may be counting time (or showing CD posititon in cartridge, like if it was a CD Changer), but you might not get sound. Wait at least thirty seconds for everything to work out. This time delay will only happen when everything is first hooked-up. There is no time-delay at any time afterwards.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-01-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Aux input on 98 Firebird w/o CD Changer