Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Guage cluster lights not working.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Guage cluster lights not working.....

as it says above the guage cluster lights(speedo,tach, all of them) dont work as well as the lights on the radio dont work once I turn my headlights on. I checked the fuse and I put a new on in but it blew that fuse as well. need some help on where to start. not sure what it could be.
thanks
Wesley
Old 09-08-2004, 06:34 AM
STF Veteran

Replace your headlight switch control module. Sounds like maybe the dimming varible resistor has failed with a partial short and is blowing the fuse. That dial is the common link between the radio and cluster lights.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I replaced it they have 2 listed i guess one for the dimmer and one for the actual lights. and I replaced the one for the lights it worked for a while then i went for some fuses and put one in and then it blew the fuse blew again. what should I check next the dimmer switch??? let me know.
thanks
Wesley
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Question

I am having the same problem that was described above. I was driving home today, went over an expansion gap or something (bump) on 95 and all the sudden all of the dash lights go out (anything that can be controlled with the dimmer). The interior lights still work (mirror and overhead) though. I replaced the 5 amp fuse that was blown and it blew it again instantly, so I put in a 10 amp (i know i know) and it blew that too.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Same thing with it possibly being the headlight control/dimmer module itself?

Kinda need the dash lights to drive home from work tomorrow
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Help!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

the thing that fixed my problem was the dimmer switch the one that is a wheel next to the light switch. try to replace that and see what it does.
once I took the old one out. the contacts are on a piece of what looks to be ceramic or a plastic type material. well once I took the old one out I noticed a piece of the white ceramic like substance. well upon inspection of the dimmer switch I took it apart and that ceramic type disc was in pieces. and the electrodes were not in the proper place b/c the cracks and the movement of the piece in the switch itself from me moving it. so now all is well. try that if all else fails.
hope that helps
Wesley
Old 01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

man, my situation is really similar as well. the fuse for the guages/radio blew last weekend, so I replaced it (been working since). then this weekend the lights for the guages and radio stopped working, but I can't find a blown fuse. I guess I'll have to try the dimmer switch replacement. my fog lights stopped working too, so my electrical is shot