Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical problems?

Old 10-06-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems?

ok...... starting happening about a week ago.... somtimes my driver side blinker wont come one (daytime running light) and somtime my driver side window motor starts to crawl to a stop... and one of my driver side brake lights is out. all happend around the same time or at least i noticed.... i replaced my driver side window motor about a year ago soo i i have no clue why thats goin out..

any help?

also when i hit my key chain locker... both daytime lights blink soo i know that light isnt burnt out
Old 10-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 99PTA
...also when i hit my key chain locker... both daytime lights blink soo i know that light isnt burnt out
The alarm/keyless entry system flashes the parking lights not the daytime running lights. That is, it flashes the dim filament of the two-filament bulbs in the front but the DRLs and turn signals use the bright filament. In other words, the bulb could be burned out. Easiest way to check is to put on the hazard lights and walk around the car looking for which bulbs aren't flashing.

The light problems are probably not related to the power window slowness unless it's a battery or charging system problem. If you replaced the window motor with a GM original one then it's not unusual to have it die again. There are aftermarket motors that last longer and usually cost less than the GM parts.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need a window motor fast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

The light problems are probably not related to the power window slowness unless it's a battery or charging system problem. If you replaced the window motor with a GM original one then it's not unusual to have it die again. There are aftermarket motors that last longer and usually cost less than the GM parts.
What aftermarket window motors would you guys recommend?
NAPA and AutoZone have window motors for about $50-$60 and come with a warranty (Autozone lifetime). I don't want to install GM junk back in it (rather have a ford motor in it ) Any Ideas?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look around for places where the driver's side
light and accessory (window) harnesses pick up sheet
metal ground (screws into body sheet metal). Likely
under-dash and engine bay, maybe up in the nose space
for the DRLs. It wouldn't be too surprising to find one
that's loose or corroded up a bit.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The two circuits ground in different places - lights at G106 on the radiator support and window motors at G200 behind the left kick panel. While it is possible that one or the other may be a ground problem, it would be extremely unlikely that both grounds would go around the same time unless the car had been submerged in a flood. I wouldn't bother checking the window motor ground because both sides ground at the same place so both windows would be affected. But it never hurts to check these things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electrical problems?