Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What's the best alarm system these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best alarm system these days?

I need to get a good alarm system and would like it to have the following features: 2-way capabilities would be nice, a proximity sensor, remote start for an M6 (I know it’s a bad idea, but I can’t help it), shock sensors, plus the standard alarm features. Anyone know what system would be the best? What it includes/what I will have to purchase separately?

I have been looking at the Viper and Avital systems. I don't know a whole lot about alarms, and I could even also use some education on the different Viper systems, such as the 2-way, the ESP, and the others. I’d really appreciate some help on this one fellas.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

The only way to go is the viper 791xv it has everything except radar sensor (which you will probably wind up hating after a while). Have fun bribing a shop to do the autostart in a m6 tho.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VinMan2
....Have fun bribing a shop to do the autostart in a m6 tho....

heh, i have it on mine, and they made me sign a waiver saying they wouldn't be held responsible if anything happened....and guess what?:

My Story
Old 10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

My shop tried that too but guess what someone autostarted their car in first with no e-brake it ran into a building they sued and won, so now we just say no.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, it's all gonna depend on the shop....some will do it, and some won't

i guess i just got lucky enough (or unlucky enough, considering what happened...) to have a shop here that would do it for me. but i guarantee, i will not be making the same mistake again.....
Old 10-18-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

in regards to the original question about who makes the best alarm nowadays....well...truth be told, it doesn't really matter. take a look HERE and you'll see why. once the page loads, look at all the brands that this company makes alarms under

the only thing that really matters is what's available locally for you, the price, and the features available.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

I hear the Clifford alarms have an idiotproof remote start system, so perhaps that's an option, but I can live without it. If I choose one without remote start, what system is the best bang for the buck? I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out the real differences between the Viper XV's and the ESP's as well as Cliffords Matrix and G5 series. Could someone help me out with this? Also, does anyone know where to find good prices on these online or in the DFW area?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best Alarm is hands down the Viper791 with the GPS add on! the transmiter is a 2way remote up to a 1/4mile if you are farther than that you can use a phone or computer to track it speed,date,time. You can do all of this without the cops unlike OnStar or lowjack! you can set a speed that if the car goes over the car will shut off and alarm you! I use this features when I drop it of at the speed shop! No joy riding in my car! And if they do I can print out the date time and speed at home on my printer and sue the **** out of them!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
you can set a speed that if the car goes over the car will shut off and alarm you! I use this features when I drop it of at the speed shop! No joy riding in my car!
that right there would sell me if i was in the market for an alarm. you KNOW some shops thrash the **** out of cars they get in.

on a side note, whenever you drop your car off with a shop always take all documentation out of the car. that way thieving employees wont have any means of knowing where you live to steal your rig or the stuff in it.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Clifford in all my vehicles and have never had a problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

The Viper 791 w/GPS sounds pretty good to me...I had one shop joy ride for about 25 miles, but I had no proof of it, and of course they denied it
Old 10-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Check out Sound Experience out of Barrington, IL. There is a mastermind there by the name of John Branski. He has a way to check if the car is in gear before starting.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Launching!

A friend and I both have the Viper 791xv alarm with remote start. We both, also, have M6. And we love it!

We had the shop do the install and we did the remote start. We have it set up where you have to pull the ebrake up to get it to start, and it checks the tach signal to make sure it is pulling the right RPM's... if not then it shuts it off. We have a safety cut-off switch for when anyone besides us drives it (or when it is at the shop).

Make sure you get into the habit of leaving it in neutral. It takes 21 times to make it habit. We tested it and with the ebrake moderaltly up the car went foward about 6 inches.

If you need some help, just post. There is a lot of good info here...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you have to pay a monthly or yearly fee for the GPS add on with the viper?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kapedogg
The Viper 791 w/GPS sounds pretty good to me...I had one shop joy ride for about 25 miles, but I had no proof of it, and of course they denied it
that's exactly the reason why when i dropped my car off at the body shop last week, i took a photo of the odometer and gas gauge with the timestamp turned on....if they took it out, i will know for sure, and have proof to back it up.

and i did also remove anything & everything in the car that was loose, so they couldn't steal anything....i don't think these guys would, but you never know for sure.....
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
heh, i have it on mine, and they made me sign a waiver saying they wouldn't be held responsible if anything happened....and guess what?:

My Story
Man that sucks. Id be willing to be that shop lost that waiver. You might try to hit em up.

Do you have to pay for GPS option? I thought it was gps was free except when used commercially. Viper might charge you though... Anyone know?

Last edited by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick; 10-21-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes there are fees it is like $100 and something for a year and $200 something for year unlimited useage views!

I worked at a dealer for a long time and your pics mean nothing. Stop at my house and I will use my TECHII GM programer to reset codes,vins,milage,and anything electrical you want! And it still doesn't stop them from some burnouts or reving it 7000rpm! But the GPS will let me know with date and time stamp! I don't tell the stops that I have this on the car tell I pick it back up! And you should see there faces!

They look pal and say we didn't do anything to it! I say I know I was watching on my GPS system! And as the other guy pulls it up my transmiter chips to show the car unlocked and started! They always say it tells you on that thing!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhoopty
that right there would sell me if i was in the market for an alarm. you KNOW some shops thrash the **** out of cars they get in.

on a side note, whenever you drop your car off with a shop always take all documentation out of the car. that way thieving employees wont have any means of knowing where you live to steal your rig or the stuff in it.
Oh and about that my sound good but sorry no! Unless you have a private plate with is superhard to get! All I need is your plate or vin and the DMV will tell my where you live! Oh and from working at the dealership I can (with the vin) cut a set of keys.

I cover my vins on all my cars! And I welcome anyone that thinks they can get are car or parts from my house! I own 47guns, 5loaded and around the house,motion lights,alarms,garage,dog,and there is always someone awake with a gun!

Yes I am crazy, and yes I have stoped a criminal that was trying to get my car! All I will say I didn't shoot him I beat him with the gun tell the police showed up! He went the the hospital before the jail!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had 2 different Avital models in both F-bodies I've owned. I love Avital. I also had remote start on my M6 in my 93 and took it to wal-mart to get an oil change one day. I came back and the passanger fender in front of the tire was smashed in! They claimed it "magically" started by itself. I know it had to have been an employee playing with the remote. They also claimed I didn't tell them it had remote start. The button the key chain stated it and under the hood in the middle of the radiator support was s 1.5"x6" sticker saying it. I got a new bumper, fender, starter, knuckle-something and battery out of it. Also ended up wiht them paying for a ram air hood as well. 2 weeks in agruments on it, but they paid. I disconnected remote start after that though. The hawk is a A4, and LOVE the remote start. I was always paranoid to use it on the M6 with teh fear of accidently leaving it in gear (even though I was in the habbit of neutral and parking brake).
Old 10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What most people don't understand that DEI owns like 95% of the companys now. Viper,avital,python,ect.........

Quick Reply: What's the best alarm system these days?