Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

camaro head light "turn on" setting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default camaro head light "turn on" setting

well i didnt know quite were to post this so i picked this forum...anyhow, i got curious and was wanting to know if there was a way to adjust the setting of how dark it has to be to trigger the headlights to come on? i'd like for my lights to come on earlier then they do now....there for not have to be so dark before they come on....is there a way to adjust that? and since im asking, where is the sensor that detects the lighting anyhow? thx for the help..

Jon
Old 10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

must be a stupid question...
Old 10-17-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know of any way electronically, but you could somehow build up a little "wall" around the sensor, so that it kinda casts a shadow on the sensor unless it's really bright out....you'd have to experiment with the "wall" height to get your desired results
Old 10-17-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Not really a stupid question. I just don't think anyone has ever really cared to do this. I honestly wouldn't know how to take care of what you're asking. I do have a suggestion though...how about manually turning them on when you want them on? In regards to where the midnight sentinel(light sensor) is...it's under the dash just to the side of the theft deterrent light.

Justin
Old 10-17-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Not really a stupid question. I just don't think anyone has ever really cared to do this. I honestly wouldn't know how to take care of what you're asking. I do have a suggestion though...how about manually turning them on when you want them on? In regards to where the midnight sentinel(light sensor) is...it's under the dash just to the side of the theft deterrent light.

Justin
lol...i was waiting for someone to say that...glad it got said early in the post
Old 10-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Making the automatic headlights go on earlier is fairly easy. The sensor works by increasing resistance in the circuit as it gets darker outside. Most people would rather disable them so they put in a piece of wire to short the circuit - zero resistance makes the system think it's daylight all the time so they never go on automatically. The reverse would be to add resistance to make the system think it's darker out than it really is so they come on sooner and stay on longer. You'll probably want to use a potentiometer (variable resistor - like a volume control) so that you can fine tune the response to light.

The sensor is in the dash to the right of the defroster vent next to the security system LED. Underneath you'll find two wires connected to it (light green with black and yellow with black). Cut one of the wires - it doesn't matter which - and splice in your control then adjust it as necessary. You may want to attach some longer wires to the control and splice them in so that you can reassemble the dash and still have the control within reach somewhere (in the ashtray, glove box or console box perhaps).
Old 10-18-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Making the automatic headlights go on earlier is fairly easy. The sensor works by increasing resistance in the circuit as it gets darker outside. Most people would rather disable them so they put in a piece of wire to short the circuit - zero resistance makes the system think it's daylight all the time so they never go on automatically. The reverse would be to add resistance to make the system think it's darker out than it really is so they come on sooner and stay on longer. You'll probably want to use a potentiometer (variable resistor - like a volume control) so that you can fine tune the response to light.

The sensor is in the dash to the right of the defroster vent next to the security system LED. Underneath you'll find two wires connected to it (light green with black and yellow with black). Cut one of the wires - it doesn't matter which - and splice in your control then adjust it as necessary. You may want to attach some longer wires to the control and splice them in so that you can reassemble the dash and still have the control within reach somewhere (in the ashtray, glove box or console box perhaps).
hmm....thx alot man...never thought of a control..i appreciate it

Jon
Old 10-18-2004, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Default The Easy Way!!

Originally Posted by JonSSMichael
hmm....thx alot man...never thought of a control..i appreciate it

Jon
Get something that covers the sensor completely, once you found something that matches your dash and doesnt look wierd put a pin hole in it. That way when its really bright outside the light will go through the pin hole and your sensor will read it and keep the lights off, but as it starts getting darker very little light will go through the pin hole making the sensor think its darker than it really is therefore turning your lights on earlier than usual!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Teching In

anyone have a pic of this sensor? I am not sure where/what it is
Old 10-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Don98Z
anyone have a pic of this sensor? I am not sure where/what it is

The only function of this sensor is to automatically turn your headlights on or off depending on how dark it is outside. This applies to Camaros and Canadian Firebirds but was not installed on US model Firebirds (although it can be easily added if desired).