Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ARRGH Bad battery drain! (long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARRGH Bad battery drain! (long, sorry)

I smelled the lovely electrical smoke one day while cruising. Freaked out and stopped the car ASAP. checked everything and had my bottle of water ready!

Anyhow since then I keep blowing the 10A guages fuse(on the side panel 1st one on second row)

I did a current draw test on it and found that if I removed another fuse(15A fuse, also tied to the guage cluster[PWR ACCY i think] 2nd row 3rd one over on the side panel) that my batter drain would stop. So for the last week I have just been popping that fuse out(15A) and have been ok. Now today my battery starts draining again! even with the fuse removed.

I did add a 15A fuse to where the 10A one used to be and it has not popped it.

The only changes I have made since was some rewiring(but did not change my area of where I was tapping power, so the issue there) and I added a voltage booster from Speed Inc.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the booster fried something? I noticed today(was testing it out) when It kicked in my Volts gauge seeemed like it was going to around 16v vs the 14.4 it is supposed to be.

Aslo since the smoke was let out of the components I noticed the guages have been doing funky sweeps and what not when i put the fuse it on when the batter is real low.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i need help people! I Come in peace!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

sorry i'm clueless
Old 10-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, did you do a visual inspection. Check that it's not peeled anywhere.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check that what is not peeled?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by guadofreak

I smelled the lovely electrical smoke one day while cruising. Freaked out and stopped the car ASAP. checked everything and had my bottle of water ready!

Anyhow since then I keep blowing the 10A guages fuse(on the side panel 1st one on second row)

I did a current draw test on it and found that if I removed another fuse(15A fuse, also tied to the guage cluster[PWR ACCY i think] 2nd row 3rd one over on the side panel) that my batter drain would stop. So for the last week I have just been popping that fuse out(15A) and have been ok. Now today my battery starts draining again! even with the fuse removed.

I did add a 15A fuse to where the 10A one used to be and it has not popped it.

The only changes I have made since was some rewiring(but did not change my area of where I was tapping power, so the issue there) and I added a voltage booster from Speed Inc.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the booster fried something? I noticed today(was testing it out) when It kicked in my Volts gauge seeemed like it was going to around 16v vs the 14.4 it is supposed to be.

Aslo since the smoke was let out of the components I noticed the guages have been doing funky sweeps and what not when i put the fuse it on when the batter is real low.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ok, Im not sure if you were really upset when you wrote this or what. All I got out of it is you have a drained battery and you smelled smoke. What are we talking about. You said booster I assume your talking about a FM booster?
List what you got.
List what you changed.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I assume that your car is a daily driver - which means you haven't removed the alternator for racing purposes. So why would you need a voltage booster? It's a just a gimic for anything but really serious racing-only cars (except, possibly, for ones designed for increasing output of electric fuel pumps). I would take it out and see if that solves the problem.

Always start looking for problems first with the last added accessory or modification.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car is not a daily driver. It's just frustrating. Even with removing the Voltage booster(speed inc) it still does it. and yes it is to increase the fuel pump voltage.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, the PWR ACCY fuse supplies parking lamp relay, hatch release relay, power mirror switch, radio memory, alarm shock sensor and the instrument cluster security indicator. Have you done any work in those areas recently? It sounds like perhaps an alarm or remote start installation would use these circuits.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

removed the guage cluster today and it seems my battery drain is gone now...I Guess I need a new cluster.