Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

All aftermarket speaker options listed

Old 10-29-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All aftermarket speaker options listed

I think it would be great if we could have a sticky of what ALL possible options for upgrading speakers, amps and HUs. I myself know that I spend a lot of my time trying to track down if one particular speaker will work within the guideline of the install sticky. If there was just a quick reference guide for those of us who are speakerly challenged that would be perfect.

Format would be something like this:

Front speakers:

SPS 170a
PSP 071z (Firebird only, component) This way Camaro guys won't look for it for their application unless planning on wiring in seperate tweeters, so if it won't work for Camaro just list off to the side) This is just a made-up model # no flames please

Sail Panels:

RF 4406
JL 6W0

Rear Hatch:

SPS 100a

Amps:

RF 1234.5 (again made-up)

Head Unit:

Pioneer 6789
Alpine 4321

I think you get the idea. I don't mind looking online for speakers, it's just I don't know what I'm looking FOR. I have noticed also that a lot of the models get discontinued rather often. In this sense what is written in the sticky may no longer exist on the market. Rogue and Tuffluck would be the guys I think to start it and then others add to it as they find other avenues. I hope this can be accomplished and I look forward to seeing this thread grow with really good information. Thanks all.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Teching In

In my '00 SS, I just put in teh Alpine SPS-170a, and they sound great (especially since both my fronts were previously blown), and I have the sps-100a coming in the next day or two for the back. I think they will pair nicely.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

What about sail panels?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

MB Quarts P6.5 in front and rear! Mounted on MDF spacers angled.
Eclipse center cannel 6.5
Sub Dioamond Audio M6 10"
PioneerAVIC N1 flipout in HVac area and Pioneer 8" where stock radio goes
Amps 1100D and 500 Directed
Processor(5.1DTS) Pioneer 9000R
Pioneer DVD changer 6disc pioneer!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
What about sail panels?
Im not replacing my sail panels for a few reasons:
1. they are not blown. I beleive the fronts blow so much due to moisture from the door.
2. I am adding an IDQ 10 D4. 10" DVC sub.
I figure that the sub will provide good sub-bass sounds, and the sail panels, while not really subs, will provide mid range response where the fronts lack.
I see that as a fairly balanced system on a budget.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

When replaceing any speaker ask your shelf a few questions.
1) does it fit
2) is there a "incloser" for it!

Front door speakers are exposed to the weather alittle and way to much air space! So there are companys that sell speaker sixed boots that will protect and make the speaker sound realy good! I use 3 6.5 ones, front doors,and center channel! the speaker right behind the front seats I dynomat the hell out of poly fill the big space in the bottom and use a silicone sound deflector behind the speaker! WOW what a differance it all makes!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
When replaceing any speaker ask your shelf a few questions.
1) does it fit
2) is there a "incloser" for it!

Front door speakers are exposed to the weather alittle and way to much air space! So there are companys that sell speaker sixed boots that will protect and make the speaker sound realy good!
I got those foam baffles from Crutchfield and put them in, they are more for weather proofing rather than creating a sealed enclosure. they are not airtight since you have to cut a hole in it to route the wire, but Im sure it helps a little.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

While this idea has some merit, Even in my original post those are only reccomendations. Unfortunately most 6.5 subs have since been discontinued, plus everyones ears are different, once you go beyond replacing stock speakers, you have to listen to your ears!!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Understood, but if there are some with a brand preference but unsure if it will fit they could come straight to here and see if it applies. This will only work if others that have put that brand in their vehicle add their info to the list. I myself was completely Pioneer biased for years and thought of Alpine as too trendy without the quality. This you must remember was in the mid-90s when I was graduating high school and still wanted a system to boom. Now my views have changed to performance and just basic sound to get me through the drives. I don't mind if my neighbors hear me coming from the sound of the engine and not the thump of the bass. I too will be going with the Apline front and rear hatch models.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Well here goes nothing, this weekend I will attempting to do the big swap. I chose the following setup.

Front:

Alpine SPS 170a

Sail:

Kicker K65

Rear hatch:

Alpine SPS 100a (to be ordered and installed)

As a side note the black halos go in as well this weekend. I will post up after this weekend here to let all who are interested know how it goes. Just as a precursor though, if I can do this without difficulty ANYONE can. I am the most UNKNOWLEDGEABLE when it comes to stereo stuff. Is there a good, inexpensive amp I should get and then get that plug and play adapter as well? How many channels? thanks all!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

All but the rear hatch are in now and it was a snap! Once out and looking at the online pics and Tuffluck's write up it all made sense. The worst part of the whole experience was working the door panel off and on again. If it was this easy for me ANYBODY can do it! There is great sound throughout the car now and I'm pleased. I can hear when it gets muddy in places and I guess an amp will help but that will be down the line when I learn more. I know there are plug and play adapters for our cars and I just need to find the amp I want and figure out where the power will be going. The Kickers are truly a geat speaker I think for the application, I think I can cut the wires to the tweeter in the Kicker but I want to be sure before doing so. Anyone have any insight in this? Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Kicker K65s for the sail panels over another set of Alpines?

How do your bass levels with the Kickers compare with the factory subs?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

I really don't think the stock subs EVER worked. I can't recall as much bass in the car as I have now or even ANY from the rear seat area. I had so many weird things wrong with the car since buying it I am just chalking up the failed subs to it too. I bought the car brand new Nov 9, 2000 so it's not as if I inherited these problems. But for what it's worth, I have had no issues with mechanical functions, so it all balances itself out. I chose the Kickers because they were used in anothers system and I found a pair on eBay too good to pass up. Also, trying to find RFs and JLs and everything that seems to have gotten discontinued took it's toll and I just gave in. No complaints by me though, I just have to go get an amp now. I am not so into speakers that it rules my decisions when it comes to cars. I don't want a sub box or any extra weight, the only sub system I could see going with is the Stealthbox, so I could remove it just as easily as the rear hatch panel. Otherwise a quality yet inexpensive amp to get me to the real lows and the replacement rear hatch fills and I'm going to call it done (adapter included).

Search this Thread