Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

confused about speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default confused about speakers

i looked but no one ever answered this question in any of the topics...can i run a componet system for the front doors with the monsoon amp? i have a 2001 trans am...
Old 11-11-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
i looked but no one ever answered this question in any of the topics...can i run a componet system for the front doors with the monsoon amp? i have a 2001 trans am...
just take the out put from the moonsoon and connect it to the componet sets crossover just like you would connect it to the regular speaker.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do believe on the Pontiacs the door speakers are already components from the factory. Thus, the HU powers the tweeter and the Monsoon amp powers the mid-range/woofer part.

Beacause of this I would try the following:

Connect the new woofer using the factory wires from the Monsoon amp. Then connect the factory tweeter's power wires to the external crossover then from the crossover to the new tweeter (just incase the factory tweeter accepts lower freq. then the new one , don't want to ruin your new tweeter).

Try is out at low to medium volumes to ensure you are not going to damage (distortion) your new speakers.

Hope this helps.

-Tom
Old 11-11-2004, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
I do believe on the Pontiacs the door speakers are already components from the factory. Thus, the HU powers the tweeter and the Monsoon amp powers the mid-range/woofer part.

Beacause of this I would try the following:

Connect the new woofer using the factory wires from the Monsoon amp. Then connect the factory tweeter's power wires to the external crossover then from the crossover to the new tweeter (just incase the factory tweeter accepts lower freq. then the new one , don't want to ruin your new tweeter).

Try is out at low to medium volumes to ensure you are not going to damage (distortion) your new speakers.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

You are correct. Monsoon firebirds have seperate tweeter and mid in the door. With that said, you can replace each with a little bit of custom work. To get the most out of that component set you really need a bigger amp.