Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

think I'm getting closer to final setup... please give opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default think I'm getting closer to final setup... please give opinions.

Hi,

Well, after lots of reading and thinking and input... I think I'm getting closer to the wanted setup.
Here is a breakdown of the pieces I have in mind... let me know if you would do something differently... but remember that I have a convertible.

Head-Unit:
Alpine CDA-9835:

Front Speakers:
Focal Utopia's 165W

Rear Speakers:
Focal Utopia's Audiom 6W

sub:
2x JL Audio 8W3v2-D4

... with JohnnyB convertible sub-box.

amp:
JL Audio 450/4 for the speakers

JL Audio 250/1 for the subs

I think the match is good, since the amp will supply
front: 150w x2 @ 1.5 - 4 ohms
rear: 75w x2 @ 1.5 - 4 ohms
for the amps, 250w, which will be 125w x2

Miscellaneous:
  1. keeping my steering-wheel controls:
    PAC SWI-X
  2. wires
  3. sound-deadening material on whole car

questions:
  1. Have no clue which sub to get dual-2-ohm, dual-4-ohm, dual-6-ohm... can someone enlighten me ?
  2. does the system seem balanced ? if not, what would you change ?

I think I haven't forgotten anything.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I think the Eclipse CD8454 will sound better due to the 24bit Da and the low impedence and high voltage outputs. Alpine has those 10,000ohm line impedances compared to Eclipse 55ohm.

Other than that everything should sound fine and you'll have plenty of power.

I like the versatility of the JL amps but the sound quality is a little better in the PPI DCX amps. A lil more detail IMO. I switch back and forth between them on our boards at work. They are just ugly as sin. LOL

I run the JL amps in my truck with Diamond speakers and they sound great.

Get the 8w3V2-D2 and wire it to 4ohm. The amp doesn't care what the ohm load is as far as power is concerned but your damping factor (control over the subwoofer) will go do everytime you drop the ohm load so IMO, keep it at 4ohm.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alpine CDA-9835:
Specifications
FM TUNER SECTION
Tuning Range 87.7 – 107.9 MHz
Mono Usable Sensitivity 9.3 dBf (0.8 µV/75 ohms)
50 dB Quieting Sensitivity 13.5 dBf (1.3 µV/75 ohms)
Alternate Channel Selectivity 80 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 80 dB
Stereo Separation 45 dB
Capture Ratio 2.0 dB
AM TUNER SECTION
Tuning Range 530 – 1,710 kHz
Sensitivity (IEC Standard) 22.5 µV/27 dB
CD PLAYER SECTION
Frequency Response 5 – 20,000 Hz (±1 dB)
Wow & Flutter (% WRMS) Below measurable limits
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.008% (at 1 kHz)
Dynamic Range 95 dB (at 1 kHz)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 105 dB
Channel Separation 85 dB (at 1 kHz)
PICKUP
Wave length 795 nm
Laser power CLASS I
REMOTE CONTROL
Battery Type AAA batteries (2 pcs.)
Width 42 mm (1-21/32")
Height 121 mm (4-25/32")
Depth 23 mm (29/32")
Weight 50 g (1.8 oz)
GENERAL
Power Requirement 14.4 V DC
(11–16 V allowable)
Power Output 26 W RMS
× 4*

* Primary amplifier ratings per CEA-2006 Standard
• Power output: measured at 4 Ohms and
1% THD+N

• S/N: 80 dBA (reference: 1 W into 4 Ohms)
Maximum Pre-Output Voltage 4 V/10 k ohms
Weight 1.6 kg (3 lbs. 8 oz)
CHASSIS SIZE
Width 178 mm (7")
Height 50 mm (2")
Depth 152 mm (6")
NOSEPIECE SIZE
Width 170 mm (6-11/16")
Height 46 mm (1-13/16")
Depth 18 mm (11/16")
Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what difference does it make to have a high-impedance ?
Actually, wouldn't it be better to have a high-impedance so that external connections don't affect the HU as much ?
Old 11-26-2004, 01:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
what difference does it make to have a high-impedance ?
Actually, wouldn't it be better to have a high-impedance so that external connections don't affect the HU as much ?

High impedence is bad. Think of it like a powerband. You want it as flat as possible and not peaky. A low impedence if flatter than a high impedence preout voltage. Man that is way hard to explain. To make it simple though, look at every high end deck out there and tell me what you find. They all have low impedence and high voltage. Decks from the same company but lower models will always have lower voltage and high impedence preouts no?

In the late 80s to mid 90s most decks had .500mv outputs at 1000ohm impedence. Once voltages started going up the impedence stayed the same. I assume this was the help keep the RCAs from shorting out if they touched metal while the deck was on? Not sure about that. Eventually the impedence came down also.

The one good thing that helps the Alpine units is they keep a high signal to noise ratio. Will this overcome the high impredence preouts? I don't know since I have not ran an Alpine in my car since 95'. I do have an old 7909 unit downstairs which was one of the best sounding units ever made until a few years ago. LOL

Either way I'm not saying you are making a bad choice. I just know the Eclipse is definately a great sounding unit (that's why i own 2) and they have a great warranty plus they have the only deck with an 8v preout.. You just asked for opnions is all
Old 11-26-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mmm... thanks... I'll have to reassess the HU and think some more about it.
Thanks... anything else on the setup ?
I went with Alpine cause I liked the look of them and always had Alpine in mind... but I'm open-minded for discussion and new products as well.
You have any links on reviews or anything like that... also, any pics of the HU installed in your car ?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
High impedence is bad. Think of it like a powerband. You want it as flat as possible and not peaky. A low impedence if flatter than a high impedence preout voltage. Man that is way hard to explain. To make it simple though, look at every high end deck out there and tell me what you find. They all have low impedence and high voltage. Decks from the same company but lower models will always have lower voltage and high impedence preouts no?

In the late 80s to mid 90s most decks had .500mv outputs at 1000ohm impedence. Once voltages started going up the impedence stayed the same. I assume this was the help keep the RCAs from shorting out if they touched metal while the deck was on? Not sure about that. Eventually the impedence came down also.

The one good thing that helps the Alpine units is they keep a high signal to noise ratio. Will this overcome the high impredence preouts? I don't know since I have not ran an Alpine in my car since 95'. I do have an old 7909 unit downstairs which was one of the best sounding units ever made until a few years ago. LOL

Either way I'm not saying you are making a bad choice. I just know the Eclipse is definately a great sounding unit (that's why i own 2) and they have a great warranty plus they have the only deck with an 8v preout.. You just asked for opnions is all
I would have to read up more on the amps, but a 8 volt pre-out running at 55 ohms is putting out almost .15 amps verse 4 volts at 10,000 ohms which puts out .0004 amps. That is a big difference. I would be curious as to how the amplified reacts to uses 375 times more current.