Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What is going on??!?!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on??!?!??

Ok, not long ago, I got out of my car(at night) and turned the headlights off and the driver's side motor started grinding. Ok, fine, no problem. Well, the lights then came back up, went down, came back up and went down again. Hmmmm.....now, I can't just turn my fog-lights on without the headlights popping up with them, but they don't turn on.
Does anyone have ANY idea what is going on with my car??? It does this everytime you get out of the car when the alarm sets after a few seconds and everytime I cut the lights off when I park.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Worn headlight gear:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...headlight+gear

Do a search and you'll find plenty of posts like this one.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

the gear is making my electrical system act up???
I know that the gear is bad, I was just asking why are they going up and down like that??? I've had other 'birds before that the motor would start grinding and the headlights didn't go up and down a hundred times by themselves...I did the search but just never saw the reason why they go up and down....thanks anyway...
Old 12-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The alarm tries to make sure that the headlights are down when you arm it. With stripped gears, its isnt sure so it opens and recloses them. That is what I found out about it. Replace the gears (or do the 180* mod) first and go from there. If that doesn't take care of the problems (it probably will) then there could be something alse wrong. I'd suggest doing the 180* mod since its free. Follow the link I provided for more information.

Here is another link for more info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html

Last edited by VIP1; 12-05-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem last month and freaked out about it like you did. i knew the motor gears for the lights suck but what i didnt know was all the other problems it creates when it takes a dump. I did the 180 mod and works like new, though you know its going to strip again but if it lasts 4 years like i did before it broke than fine. The metal gears are cheap though, but i need the money right now for a good car alarm cause all the recent break ins in my area...