Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best place to ground an aftermarket HU?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best place to ground an aftermarket HU?

I know this is basic electronics stuff but I suck at it (yet I'm good with computers, go figure). Btw, sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search before posting.

I have the stock Monsoon system along with a Sony head unit. It's fine most of the time but sometimes I'll hit a bump and it'll emit a high-pitched noise. It matches whatever the RPMs are at the time. It only does it when the stereo is off. In the past I have rewired the thing about 3 times thinking I didn't do it good enough. From searching (and what I figured anyway) it sounds like a ground problem.

I was just wondering where the best ground would be around the headunit for my car. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Launching!

yea me too...gettin whine like a ****
Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

if all else fails run it from the battery or from the end of the ground cable for the battery
Old 12-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Launching!

what are you running off of right now? I had that same problem, and went back in and found my wire was loose, so it started the whine, of course forme the problem came out to be the ground wire for my amp, but it made a hugedifference after I tightened it down. I have an aftermarket stereo as well and have hte groundwire attached to the stock black ground wire that was hooked to the stock stereo, thisone shoud giveyou no problems. Also keep in mind that real long ground wires can give you noise, so keep them short.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, mines on the stock stereo ground as well. No problems here.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

So if you connect the ground wire from the aftermarket head unit to the ground wire coming from the car (that normally goes to the stock stereo) that's all you have to do? I thought I had to ground it after the two were connected together. I'll get in there and take another look at it. It's been a while since I messed with it too so I'm not exactly sure how I did it. I'll let you guys know. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Any Installer will tell you, don't use the factory grounds, instead use the same ground point you are using for your amps, or a nice solid metal ground nearby.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a good one directly underneath the radio, connecting the console to a metal bracket. unfortunately, it requires taking out the console.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, I might even try that then. I swapped the consoles in my last Z so I can handle it. Thx for the suggestions guys. Now I just gotta decide if I want to tackle this this week or the weekend.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:33 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

When I wired my manual fan switch I used a ground post located behind the passenger side kick panel. It's fairly substantial, if I remember correctly. Already has a nut on the post. (don't remember what else was wired there-been a couple years). HTH.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gwj
When I wired my manual fan switch I used a ground post located behind the passenger side kick panel. It's fairly substantial, if I remember correctly. Already has a nut on the post. (don't remember what else was wired there-been a couple years). HTH.
That's where I grounded my boosted FM antenna. I imagine that would be a good place for the HU as well. BTW, my eclipse 8053 is fine with the factory ground. The manual says it only draws 2 amps max. I installed a 16 ga. running to the amp's ground while the interior was out in case I needed it. I don't.

Quick Reply: Best place to ground an aftermarket HU?