Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dome override for 99 Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dome override for 99 Z?

is it possible to put a dome override on a 99' Z28? i would like to be able to control my lights.... also i have seen a hookup for allowing both high and low beams to be on at the same time..... where can i find each of these items? can you take a dome override switch out of a Yukon XL and expect it to fit?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Launching!

no takers on this question?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Wiring a switch to disable the courtesy lights is fairly easy and you have a couple of choices of how to do it.

If you only want to disable the automatic lights but still be able to turn on the map lights manually then you should cut the white wire (NOT the white with black stripe) in the 32-pin blue connector at the BCM and wire a switch in between. This is the courtesy light control wire that causes the lights to go on and then gradually fade out. Your map light switches will still work and the dome light will still go on when you open the hatch but otherwise the lights won't work unless you turn your switch on.

If you don't want any of the lights to work at all unless you have the switch on then you want to cut the dark blue with white stripe (NOT the plain dark blue) wire in the 6-pin black connector at the BCM and wire the switch there. This is the power feed wire for all the courtesy lights so none of them will go on unless you have your switch on.

I have don't know if a Yukon switch will work but, if it is an On/Off switch (not momentary) and you can figure out the correct pins to use, then it could be used.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

well i was looking to be able to just had the headlights to work only on the switch... and not interferr with the simming lights to off..... hmm, i dont really wanna **** anything up... any way to just be able to control the headlights to be auto on, and have a button to turn them to where i can turn them on and off manually?

thanks in advance....

Dan
Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Hold on a moment... the original question was about "dome" lights. My answer had nothing to do with controlling your headlights.

You can disable the automatic headlights by merely unplugging the daylight sensor in the dash and connecting the two wires together with a jumper wire. That will make the system think it's daylight all the time and your headlights will have to be turned on manually with the switch. You can also add a double-pole switch instead of the jumper wire so that you can switch the system between automatic and manual operation.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Launching!

ah, sorry, dome ovverride button in my mothers yukon when pressed 5 times allows you to contorl headlights.... sorry, just wondering about the headlights probably should have said headlights....

any way to comtrol them?

thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Second paragraph in my previous post describes controlling automatic headlight operation.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Launching!

where is the sensor located.....?

where do the wires run to for this sensor? do they run to the switch or some where else? where would be the easiest/unoticable(stock looking) place to put install a switch to diable the sensor?

thanks in advance

Dan
Old 12-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The sensor is mounted to the dash just to the right of the defroster vent (next to the alarm LED if you have a factory alarm). The wires run from there directly to the BCM behind the dash on the passenger's side.

The best way is to lift up the dash panel and unplug the sensor. You will need to remove both A pillar trim panels by removing the two screws at the top (you will see the screws when you take off the t-tops). Then the dash panel just lifts up - it's fastened with a combination of clips and velcro.

Once you've unplugged the sensor, you can make the headlights completely manual by just putting a jumper wire across the two wires in the unplugged sensor harness. Or, if you prefer, you can run wires from the two harness wires and from the two sensor pins to a convenient place for a switch (console perhaps?). Connect one harness wire and one sensor wire to one of the pins on the switch. Connect the other harness wire and sensor wire to the other pin of the switch. Now when the switch is off, the headlights will be automatic like they were originally. When the switch is on, the two sides are shorted together and the headlights will be manual only (the lack of resistance makes the system think it's daylight all the time).
Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Launching!

you wouldnt happen to have a picture of this, would you? lol, reviving a thread... sorry..... i'm going to do this mod tomorrow..... at about 5:30ish..... is there only one wire going to the sensor and coming out of the sensor?

thanks dan
Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There is a pair of light green with black stripe wires that go to the sensor. They both plug into the sensor with a single 2-prong plug. Just unplug them from the sensor and put a jumper wire connecting them together to eliminate automatic headlights.