Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp help, newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp help, newbie

I am new to stereo stuff and could really use some suggestions. I have 2 RF 4406 6.5" subs I need to power. I don't know anything about amps. What's the difference between 2 and 4 channels? Which amp would you guys suggest? I am not looking for anything crazy, just louder and a little more clear than stock. Thanks guys.
- Trey
Old 12-27-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XIII
I am new to stereo stuff and could really use some suggestions. I have 2 RF 4406 6.5" subs I need to power. I don't know anything about amps. What's the difference between 2 and 4 channels? Which amp would you guys suggest? I am not looking for anything crazy, just louder and a little more clear than stock. Thanks guys.
- Trey
Difference between 2 and 4 channel is 2 channel amps only has 2 channels to output the sound, usually used on subwoofers. 4 channel amps have 4 channels to output sound, usually on the mids and tweets of the system.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Difference between 2 and 4 channel is 2 channel amps only has 2 channels to output the sound, usually used on subwoofers. 4 channel amps have 4 channels to output sound, usually on the mids and tweets of the system.
Thanks for the info.

How do you determine what wattage amplifier is needed for a given set of speakers? Is there a formula?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XIII
Thanks for the info.

How do you determine what wattage amplifier is needed for a given set of speakers? Is there a formula?
The RMS wattage on the speaker is what the speaker can handle all the time. The Max wattage is what the speaker can handle at a peak.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

yeah what shouldaboughtthez said. look at the RMS of the speakers and find an amp with a similar RMS rating. Oh yeah and when your looking for an amp dont worry about peak output, you will rarely hit that. RMS is where its at.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Launching!

also know that a 1200 watt 200 dollar amp may not perform like a 200 watt 400 dollar amp. You get what you pay for, so don't get a crapy one. I'd personay go with a 5 channel, this way you can run all your surronding speakers off of the amp plus a sub for the rear. You could also put four speakers to two channels and the other two bridged to a sub, if your really on a budget, this would be with a 4 channel amp. 've done this for years without problems, just make sure the amp can handle the load.