Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod in TA???

Old 12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ipod in TA???

Alright, so i got an ipod for christmas and i want to hard-wire into my TA
I have a '99 w/ the monsoon system, BUT i have a '00 deck and the factory changer (i traded decks with a buddy so i can use the changer)

I've seen the pac unit, and a kenwood one
So...what's the best way to hard-wire my ipod into my car, and still be able to use my changer???
I MAY give up the changer if i HAVE TO, but i rather not

Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why hardwire it?

There's a device called an iTrip that will allow you to use an iPod anywhere with an FM signal. My g/f uses her iPod in the car and the sound quality is quite good.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T7194LL/A

Old 12-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW...nice username.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
BTW...nice username.

Hey now, that name was made back in '00 (i was 18)...so back then, yeah it was a cobra killer
And, btw my sig is olllllllld...ET's are much better now, i've done some stuff since then

As for the ipod...i rather hard-wire it, i want the best possible sound quality...and also the cool factor

Last edited by cobrakillerta; 12-31-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know how to do it???
Old 01-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You're going to have to trade your head unit again. The PAC and PIE adapters will work with your current 00 head unit in your 99 but you won't be able to use the changer. The 01-02 head units were the only ones capable of controlling more than one external auxiliary device (changer plus something else).

I had tried the PIE adapter in my 00 T/A to connect satellite radio. It worked fine but when the changer was also plugged in, both played at the same time. I didn't want to give up my changer so I sold the adapter.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're going to have to trade your head unit again. The PAC and PIE adapters will work with your current 00 head unit in your 99 but you won't be able to use the changer. The 01-02 head units were the only ones capable of controlling more than one external auxiliary device (changer plus something else).

I had tried the PIE adapter in my 00 T/A to connect satellite radio. It worked fine but when the changer was also plugged in, both played at the same time. I didn't want to give up my changer so I sold the adapter.
Hmmmmmmmm
I have heard of people installing switched so that they can alternate between the two...changer/ipod
Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

Alpine has come out with a part (kca420i) that will integrate an ipod directly with the new alpine cd players, and you don't even have to see the ipod to use it like the other aux in adapters, you control everything from the face of the cd player, you can search, files and folders, and it charges the battery of the ipod too. Of course using this would mean changing your stereo and losing the changer, but what need do you have for a changer when you have a ipod that can hold 1000's of songs anyway.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

PIE also makes an adapter that has a built-in switch to control up to four external devices (the changer and three others such as iPod or satellite radio). This is not as clean as the GM9-AUX which is completely hidden but it would allow you to connect your iPod and still keep the CD changer. Here is a link to the description on their site: http://www.pie.net/sec14sb3.htm
Old 01-04-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

So on my 01 T/A that didnt come with a changer, I can wire in an ipod? Any mor einfo on this?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

On an '01 (and '02) you can use the GM9-AUX to install an iPod, a satellite radio, a GPS and still use a factory CD changer if you have one. You can install any combination of up to three external RCA connected devices whether or not you have a factory changer.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

So how would I select the device? What button...
And I'm guessing that is a dealer item, or it is just a connector sittin there waiting for use...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Peripheral just came out with what you are looking for..

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/ipod.asp
Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Brandon
So how would I select the device? What button...
And I'm guessing that is a dealer item, or it is just a connector sittin there waiting for use...
You just press the CD/Play (or Tape/AUX in Camaro) button multiple times and it will cycle through the devices that are attached to the CD changer port on the radio.

The adapter is available from several different manufacturers but probably not from your dealer. There is the Peripheral Electronics one in the previous post and both PIE and PAC make adapters. They plug into the 9-pin CD changer port that is already on the back of your radio. There will already be a cable plugged in there because the CD changer harness is pre-installed even if you don't have the optional factory changer.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Peripheral just came out with what you are looking for..

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/ipod.asp

So I could buy a device like that, and install it myself?

I have the factory T/A cd changer with no 10 disk changer.

I am very interested.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

That depends - the indash CD player wasn't capable of controlling the CD changer (or other external device) until the middle of the 1999 model year. Before that, only the cassette head unit would work with the CD changer. So, it depends on if your 99 was made early or late in the year. There's really no way to tell for sure.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=ipod
Old 01-10-2005, 06:56 AM
12 Second Club

I haven't put this in the classifieds yet, but I've got an 02 head unit if you want it
Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Joe why do you want to hardwire it? just spend $30 or so and get a 'FM Transmitter' its all you need, it wirelessly transmits your MP3's to a clear FM station so you can listen to the songs thru your car stereo or any stereo that has a FM reciever in it, i'm getting one soon for my HP IPaq (great toy to have)

-Qasim
Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Joe why do you want to hardwire it? just spend $30 or so and get a 'FM Transmitter' its all you need, it wirelessly transmits your MP3's to a clear FM station so you can listen to the songs thru your car stereo or any stereo that has a FM reciever in it, i'm getting one soon for my HP IPaq (great toy to have)

-Qasim
Wireless FM modulators are convenient but they are the choice of last resort because of generally poor sound quality and interference from broadcast radio stations.

If you're looking for quality sound, your choices are (in descending order):

1. Hard wire direct to an auxiliary input on the head unit. Sound quality will be the best possible for the device you're connecting. Factory head units don't have an auxiliary input so you will need to buy an adapter that connects to the CD changer port on the back of the radio.

2. Hard wired FM modulator. This device plugs directly into the antenna cable and allows you to listen on one of several FM stations on the head unit. Because it plugs directly into the antenna cable, the sound quality is equivalent to that of a strong local FM radio station. It also blocks throughput from the original antenna while operating so there is little chance of interference from broadcast FM stations.

3. Wireless FM modulator. These are convenient because they require almost no installation. They can produce decent sound quality if you're lucky enough to be able to use a frequency that has no broadcast station to interfere. However, you are likely to have to change the station setting when you travel to other areas. Sound quality is about like that of a medium powered broadcast station if you can find an empty frequency - otherwise you will get interference and it will sound like a distant FM station fading in and out.

Search this Thread