Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom Sub Box Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Custom Sub Box Help

I am looking for any pictures or suggestions for a (custom) sub box that will fit in the flat "cargo" space under my hatch. I need to keep my truck space open for future bottled surprises
Can anyone help me out with pics or links
Old 01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Check out the Millhouse boxes at www.subthump.com
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Anything that fits in the flat hatch area ??? With my future plans the trunk needs to stay open, even the spot where they put the stealth boxes...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Are you talking about the flat area behind the back seats, or the very bottom where the t-top holders are? If it's the flat part behind the back seats, the millhouse will fold up there like the stock divider does.

Here's a pic folded back

Here's one folded down
If you'll never put it down, you can put about anything back there, just be careful how you secure stuff as the gas tank is under there.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

The flat spot behind the seats. I want it to look like how the millhouse box when folded back.....
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

I cant remember who make it but 6th Ave has a box that is the perfect size for the flat area behind the seats. Im not liking the fact that the millhouse box is not "stable" and held down. Besides, the 6th Ave on will he a hell of alot easier to take out at the track.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just build a box that'll fit there. It's easy enough to do. You know how much volume you need, you know the area available, so it's just a matter of calculating the height. To secure it down, first mount some mdf to the back hatch area under the carpet, then use wood screws, but be careful because the gas tank is back there.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Just build a box that'll fit there. It's easy enough to do. You know how much volume you need, you know the area available, so it's just a matter of calculating the height. To secure it down, first mount some mdf to the back hatch area under the carpet, then use wood screws, but be careful because the gas tank is back there.

That's what I'm planning on doing but I want it to look good, not just a box. I want a custom look, not something anyone can buy at a local stereo store. I'm looking for ideas or pics to get my design process going.....
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want something custom that looks good, and not just a box, then fiberglass is your friend. Learn how to use fiberglass and you can create a great looking box for the back. Here a couple images to get you started:

Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

That's kinda what I'm looking for...I'm looking for a custom look without using fiberglass but haven't had much luck. It might be impossible to do that without using fibergalss to match the curves. Any suggestions ????
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't match the curves without using fiberglass, at least not easily. You can use very thin strips of wood and wet them, then bend them in elaborate vices to get curves, but that is ridiculously difficult. I would strongly suggest you look into fiberglass. It's really pretty easy to do. Check out the tech section at www.fbodyaudio.com for some fiberglass tutorials.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
You can't match the curves without using fiberglass, at least not easily. You can use very thin strips of wood and wet them, then bend them in elaborate vices to get curves, but that is ridiculously difficult. I would strongly suggest you look into fiberglass. It's really pretty easy to do. Check out the tech section at www.fbodyaudio.com for some fiberglass tutorials.

I will look into that, thanks for all the info and advice
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Q logic box. Look them up. it will match your car perfectly. I think crutchfield sells them.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are boards and custom boxes made just for the rear dip in those cars, just do a basic search or go on ebay, there are alot of different styles. goodluck
Old 02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
there are boards and custom boxes made just for the rear dip in those cars, just do a basic search or go on ebay, there are alot of different styles. goodluck

Do the boxes sit behind the rear seats or in the well where the T-tops are stored??? I'm looking for a box to sit behind the rear seats, on that flat spot
Old 02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh sorry, the only thing i saw goes in and over the well, i haven't seen anything in the flat area.

your best bet is probably build something or look into a pick-up truck box, they will lay flat enough were it won't be in your view from the rear view mirror and they are angled too so it would look nice .
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a box that fits perfectly in the flat part behind the rear seats if you're looking to buy one. It's a Q-Logic that fits 2 10's (there's actually a small picture of it in my sig). I had my Alpine Type-R's in there before I transferred to a custom Q-Logic that fits in the t-top well. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZBIRD
Do the boxes sit behind the rear seats or in the well where the T-tops are stored??? I'm looking for a box to sit behind the rear seats, on that flat spot
If you get something to go on the flat spot, you wont be able to look though your back window.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
If you get something to go on the flat spot, you wont be able to look though your back window.
Actually, my box only cut off about 1/8 (1/4 at the most) of my vision out the back. It is positioned so that in the rear view mirror it only sits slightly higher than an SS/RS sits looking straight out the back.... just fyi