Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrading Monsoon Speakers and Adding Subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrading Monsoon Speakers and Adding Subs

Ok, I've read the sticky at the top, but I'm still confused because I know next to nothing about car stereos.

I'm kind of just planning, but I would like to know what my options are for upgrading my stereo. I would like to keep the factory look as much as possible, with the only change being to add a box from subthump.com with 2 subs in it.

I'm on a fairly tight budget, but I don't want to sacrifice a lot of quality. In other words, if it is worth the money to upgrade I will, but if it is a lot more money for little gain, then it's not worth it to me (for individual products).

I would prefer to not have to remove much of the interior, and I would also like to use the stock wiring if at all possible. What I am thinking is that I could just upgrade the stock speakers and run them off the stock amp, and just add 2 subs and an amp in the back. Would this be a good idea? Is it easy to add? How is this done, I mean, can you just come out of the stock amp into an amp that drives the subs? Is this a fairly low cost solution to upgrading the system?

If I'm headed the wrong direction, let me know. Sorry I don't know much about stereos. I like the idea of the subthump box though if it is easily removable because it would add weight in the rear for everyday driving and be removeable for when I occasionally drag race.

If I was to add an amp and subs, do I need a major upgrade on the rest of my speakers? In other words, do I need an amp to drive better speakers in the stock locations?

Please give me some advice, and maybe an idea of how much a system like I am looking at would cost. I have seen the new Kicker S12L7 12" subs on ebay for like $400 or less, but maybe that's not the way to go. Help me out guys. If you need more info, just let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

T T T
Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since nobody else is replying, I will. I am doing pretty close to the same thing you are doing. I have already upgraded my door speakers to the Alpine SPS-170a speakers, using the instructions stickied in this forum. I really like the sound.

I am getting ready to add some subs. I am adding 2 10" Alpine subs and a JBL RB600.1 amp. I am using a pac oem 1 to get the amp preouts from the head unit for the new amp.

I still haven't decided where to mount the amp yet.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the pac oem 1?

Can you just come out of the old amp (by the spare tire) to a new amp? Or do you have to run complete wiring from the headunit?

I am thinking that I could just mount a box with 2 subs from subthump.com and mount the amp to the rear hatch panel using their kit. Not sure what subs I would go with though.

But I would only add subs if you could wire it in from the old amp to the new amp...not from the headunit to the new amp.

I have read the sticky at the top, but it keeps talking about what all is available, then that they are no longer sold. I just want to know exactly what speakers everyone upgrades and what my options are for speakers to replace them with.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way, thanks for actually taking time to reply.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need a hi-lo converter of some type. You can use the pac-oem or a line output converter.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

How big of an amp/subs can you run with these crossovers while keeping all the factory wiring and stuff? Do you use one or two crossovers? Is it a much bigger deal and is it needed to have the amp power other speakers in the car? Sorry, but I'm car-audio-retarded.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have everything stock except for an amp and two 12" jl audio subs. just dont go cheap on the amp. you cn have it installed for about 40 bucks
Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does that help the sound out a lot (adding subs and amp for subs while keeping everything else stock)? Or would it be better to change out the other speakers for aftermarket? Does the bass WAY overpower everything else?

Thanks for the response!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts22
Does that help the sound out a lot (adding subs and amp for subs while keeping everything else stock)? Or would it be better to change out the other speakers for aftermarket? Does the bass WAY overpower everything else?

Thanks for the response!
Not at all. the stock stereo system is pretty good. I have a 1400 watt amp to 2 12" JL audios. They hit hard and the highs are right there with them. there is no need to upgrade you stereo unless your going for the look. the sound is already there.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
Not at all. the stock stereo system is pretty good. I have a 1400 watt amp to 2 12" JL audios. They hit hard and the highs are right there with them. there is no need to upgrade you stereo unless your going for the look. the sound is already there.
Does everyone agree with him? If so, I'll probably just stick with the stock system until all of my go-fast mods are done or something breaks.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by matts22
Does everyone agree with him? If so, I'll probably just stick with the stock system until all of my go-fast mods are done or something breaks.
stock stereo is great with the monsoon setup i think. I have 2 rockford 10" subs with a sony 1200watt amp in the back seat and it sounds great. No you can't run straight from the monsoon amp into another amp, you would have to wire from the stock headunit using a pac-oem converter or a line out converter. the pac-oem is much easier.

adding 2 subs would make the bass great, if your into that. overall sound i my car is great. i would definately recommend.