Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keyless entry.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keyless entry.

My 96 TA's keyless entry has gotten slower over the last year. It used
to unlock the doors with a quick click of the button. Now it takes up to
15secs. I have replaced the battery in the key fob with a new one. What would make this device slower? Is it the electronics in the fob itself or
the module in the car? If it is the module in the car, where is this located?
I have not come across it and have had my car pulled apart several times for different projects.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS this a factory system?

Assuming that it is, It is most likely the control module in the vehicle. If there was a problem inthe key fob (IE: Low on battery) than it would just not work half the time, it wouldn't cause a delay. I am not sure about the location of factory control boxes, but most if not all aftermarket boxes are located under your steering wheel, above the pedals. You are probably best off just replacing with an aftermarket unit.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The factory keyless entry is controlled by the body control module (BCM) which also controls a number of other functions and is very expensive to replace.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is the stock system. I am surprised more people have not had
this problem. Mine along with two other friends have this issue on their
TA's. So it would be the BCM? I was hoping it might just be the fob's electronics.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's possible that it's the fob. When you say it takes up to 15 seconds does that mean you hold the fob button for that long or are you pressing and releasing the button and then waiting for a response?

If you have to hold the button down for a long period or it works better when you're closer to the car than when you're farther away then it's possible that the fob's transmitter is faulty. If you're just waiting then it would be the BCM.

If you know someone with the same type of fob that works for their own car, ask them if you can borrow one and reprogram it to your car. That will tell you if it's the fob or the car. It's easy to reprogram the fobs and you can reset them back to matching your friend's car in just a few minutes.