Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Daytime Running Lights *Help*

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daytime Running Lights *Help*

Is it possible to get rid of the day time running lights, i like to be able to turn off and turn on the headlights manually, since im the kinda person who likes to drive at sunset time with just my foglights help me please thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's two different issues - do you want to disable the daytime running lights or the automatic headlights?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

There is a box located behind the stereo to the right, that you can unplug one of the plugs on it and it will disable the DRL's. If you do a search they have some threads about it.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by cjacks7
There is a box located behind the stereo to the right, that you can unplug one of the plugs on it and it will disable the DRL's. If you do a search they have some threads about it.
No, if you do that then your turn signals won't work. The left and right turn signal relays are contained in the DRL control module. You need to cut the dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wires and connect them together, then do the same with the light blue and light blue with white stripe wires. That will disable the DRLs but leave the turn signals functional.

To disable the automatic headlights, disconnect the sensor in the dash next to the defroster vent and connect the two wires together with a short piece of wire. This will make the system "think" it's daylight all the time so it won't turn on the headlights.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 AM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, if you do that then your turn signals won't work. The left and right turn signal relays are contained in the DRL control module. You need to cut the dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wires and connect them together, then do the same with the light blue and light blue with white stripe wires. That will disable the DRLs but leave the turn signals functional.

To disable the automatic headlights, disconnect the sensor in the dash next to the defroster vent and connect the two wires together with a short piece of wire. This will make the system "think" it's daylight all the time so it won't turn on the headlights.

Thanks for that info WhiteBird00.

I had looked that up a while back and lost it.
Now if I just get off my duff and do it finally.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Teching In

WhiteBird00: Where is the sensor located? Im confused! Will the lights still work with the switch? Will the turn signal lights remain on during the day or will they be off? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 98WHTSS
WhiteBird00: Where is the sensor located? Im confused! Will the lights still work with the switch? Will the turn signal lights remain on during the day or will they be off? Thanks!
OK, you have two completely separate automatic lighting systems on your car (actually, only on the Camaro - Firebirds don't have automatic headlights except in Canada). One is the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) which are the bright amber lights that are on anytime the car is running without the headlights on. The other is the automatic headlights which go on whenever it gets dark enough and turn off during daylight hours.

The DRLs will go on as soon as you release the parking brake with the car running and they will stay on until you shut off the car (even if you re-apply the parking brake). They are controlled by a module about the size of a cigarette package mounted behind the radio. You can disable them (although I have no idea why you would want to) by cutting the four wires at the DRL control module and splicing them together as described in an earlier post.

The automatic headlights are controlled by a light sensor that is mounted on the top of the dash to the right of the defroster vent (next to the red alarm LED). As it gets darker outside, the sensor increases the resistance in the circuit until it reaches a point where the system turns on the headlights. You can disable these by unplugging the sensor and connecting the two wires together using a short piece of wire. This gives zero resistance which makes the system think it's daylight all the time so it never turns on the headlights. You can still control the lights normally using the headlight switch - only the automatic function is affected.

To get at the sensor, you will need to remove both A-pillar trim pieces (the plastic trim running down the side of the windshield to the dash). Then you carefully pry up the main dash cover. It is held in place by a combination of clips and Velcro strips. The edges are very sharp so be careful. You will see the sensor attached to the underside of the panel with two wires connected to it. The sensor can be removed by turning it a quarter turn (like taillight bulb sockets). Just disconnect the two wires from the sensor and connect them together then reassemble the dash and trim.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Wow.. just gotta say it is sooooo cool to have a place like LS1Tech to come to and have really knowledgable people like Whitebird so willing to share the info it's taken them a lot of effort to attain.

I humbly bow in thine presence. (no joke either!)
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

did u disable them yet? please keep us posted on how it turns out, i would like to do the same for my 2001 Tahoe.

would it be the same as BLACK98Z28 's car ?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

i just unplugged the one plug and my turn signals still work, but my automatic headlights do not work anymore.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disocnnected the smaller connector on that box which disabled the Auto headlights, Daytime running lights, and parking brake light. The signals still work fine.

check this link for various mods on the auto headlights and such..

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 01-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I disocnnected the smaller connector on that box which disabled the Auto headlights, Daytime running lights, and parking brake light. The signals still work fine.

check this link for various mods on the auto headlights and such..

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
I was refering to disconnecting connector C1 on the DRL module in order to disable only the DRLs. If you unplug C1 without splicing the wires together, your turn signals will not work. The instructions on that site have you taking apart the module and soldering a connection to disable the DRLs - my way is much easier and safer.

Unplugging connector C2 will disable the DRLs, the automatic headlights, the parking brake warning light, and may have other side effects that I haven't investigated. For example, it's been mentioned on this board that disabling the brake warning light circuit also disables the ABS system. My policy is always make the smallest change that will get the job done.

Besides, I can understand why someone would want to disable the automatic headlights but, for the life of me, I can't think of a good reason to disable the DRLs.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights *Help*