Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monsoon head unit

I need a Monsoon head unit for a 01 camaro. Can I use a Monsoon head unit off a S-10 or another Camaro? (they appear to be the same) I called the Dealer and they said I'd have to reprogram the new headunit due to security purposes. Is this true (is it that complicated) or is it BS? Any feed back would be great. Thanks

BTW: would a monsoon headunit be compatible with bose speakers & amp?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe you should be able to replace the Monsoon HU with another like it from any other '98+ Fbody. I haven't a clue whether the S-10 HU is the same or not.

I've not done it myself, but I don't think re-programming it is a big deal. And, I believe (although I could be wrong) that you'd only have to do that if the antitheft program was turned on before it was unplugged. I vaguely remember a thread on how to do it somewhere around here.

As far as working with a Bose amp and speakers, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. So long as the outputs are wired correctly to the amp.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You were correct up until the Bose answer. No, you can't use a Monsoon HU with Bose speakers - at least not directly. The Bose system has high-impedance pre-amp output from the head unit. Monsoon head units are just regular radios (speaker level output) with no pre-amp output. There are adapters available but it's probably not worth doing since the Monsoon is such an ordinary radio - you don't really gain anything.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any factory Monsoon pull from 00-02 should be fine. I think 98-99 would work - but the CD players do not have changer controls. So if you have or might want to use the changer wiring you'll need to make sure you get a 00-02. Can be out of any F-body. They sell pretty high on ebay so you might want to take a trip to local junkyards or stereo install shops.

Stay away from the S10 units, too much chance you'll get something wrong unless you can inspect or verify it's the same PN.

Far as reprogramming, it will only be required if the radio is locked - some owner took the time to actually set up a passlock code. This isn't very likely, but if so, you'll need do it yourself (if you get lucky and the thread here still works...) or have a dealership do it. The dealer will probably charge you a small fee, depending upon your relationship with them.

I'm not really sure why the Bose question is there but no, avoid it as well. Either go straight factory replacement or plan on working out the whole system. The factory wiring, speaker, amp, and ohm loadings for the monsoon systems is goofy, you need to know what is going on before you start swapping anything.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

The cars original owner took out the factory system and upgraded with after-market. I got the car without a stereo system and trying to get another Monsoon. The Bose speakers & amp were given to me by a friend for no cost (thinking just maybe I can use the Bose speakers & amp w/ Monsoon HU)...but I guess not. I would like to keep the original look & the factory sound quality is good enough for me. That is why I was asking about the bose being compatible. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Would I be able to use the Bose speakers & amp with a different aftermarket HU ?? and would they be compatible?? A few audio shops have said no, but i still would like to make sure. that way i'll just get a HU and not a complete system (save $$)
Old 10-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are a few aftermarket head units that are Bose compatible and there are adapters that will make other HUs compatible. Jensen/Audiovox makes a direct factory replacement HU in their SPS series that looks and fits just like an OEM unit but has both CD and cassette and is Bose compatible (in fact, you just plug it in without any adapters and even the steering wheel controls will work). They are over $500 new from a dealer but you can find them for under $100 on ebay. There's a black model with blue/white illumination for Camaro and a dark gray model with red illumination for Firebird.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You were correct up until the Bose answer. No, you can't use a Monsoon HU with Bose speakers - at least not directly. The Bose system has high-impedance pre-amp output from the head unit. Monsoon head units are just regular radios (speaker level output) with no pre-amp output. There are adapters available but it's probably not worth doing since the Monsoon is such an ordinary radio - you don't really gain anything.
I knew the HU was just a radio, I just assumed the Bose amp he wanted to install had high level inputs. My bad.