Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

enclosing area behind the sail panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enclosing area behind the sail panel speakers

If you have enclosed the area behind the said panel speakers please post up any pic's or write up's you may have done on it.

Any info on your project would be appriciated as I'll be taking on this task in the near future and would like to learn for past sucesses/failures before bustin into it myself. I've got a few ideas on what I think will work but want to get a feel for what's been done or attempted in the past first
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

I don't understand....what do you mean?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

when you remove the sail panel speakers ... the area behind the speaker ... sealing up the hole to the bottom left or right (depending on which side of the car your looking in the hole at) and the rest of the area to make "sorta" a seald "box" or area behind the speaker. I've got a pr of 6W0's I'm putting in there and am going to seal the area behind them as best I can and was wondering if anyone else had already done or attempted this.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

You mean like this....

...Those panels look like this now....

I was trying to figure a way out of mounting my JL's behind the sail panels....but to no avail. I just want them hidden!!! Ahhh....haha. Anyway i hope the first pic is what you were referring to, otherwise this was a waste of a post!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

something like that but instead of using the foam baffel back behind the speaker actually glassing (or some other material) the area behind the hole to make a more rigid "enclosure".

If you took the foam baffels out that you show in the first pic and looked in the hole ... thats' the area I'm talking about

Thanks though
Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Fiberglass would be one way with a wooden baffle for the woofer.

You could use expanding foam, carve out the air space you need with a knife, and then fiberglass it for rigidity.

There are a ton of ways to do it, and the above one also works to an extent with minimal effort.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Fiberglass would be one way with a wooden baffle for the woofer.

You could use expanding foam, carve out the air space you need with a knife, and then fiberglass it for rigidity.

There are a ton of ways to do it, and the above one also works to an extent with minimal effort.
I used dynomat myself. Built a little enclosure behind the panel. Works alot better than the stock configurement. Next I am going to fiberglass it in.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
I used dynomat myself. Built a little enclosure behind the panel. Works alot better than the stock configurement. Next I am going to fiberglass it in.

Thats fine, and works about 70% efficiently. Main thing is to:

1. Seperate the front wave of the speaker from the rear wave as best you can.

2. The material used should not flex when the volume is turned up. i.e. don't just make a baffle for the speaker, and cover all the holes with a sound deadening sheet (aka dynamat etc) If you are going to do this, there are some good recommened ways to handle it, like using a sheet of perforated aluminum as a backing to the sheet.

3. It should be air tight once the speaker is installed for the most effcient use of the speaker.

Thats why expanding foam can make a nice area to work with, that can be carved up to make an enclosure, then can either be used as is, or reinforced with fiberglass cloth and resin. Then have a decent baffle for the woofer to mount to.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

That's begining to sound like the best route. I was considering using some sort of MDF to make rough edges then drape the fiber cloth over it and resin it in as beas as I could but the foam would leave a nice ... fairly smooth surface to stick the resin soaked colth to and then build from there for a solid air tight enclosure.

Guess I need to mosey on over to fbodyaudio and see who makes the best resin for the buck and a good cost friendly cloth. Nothin fancy as no ones gonna see it but me . I'll prolly just quick sprat with a black rubber/flex style paint on the inside so it "looks" ok with the speaker out AND fill any small air holse that may still be in the resin/cloth once cured.

Quick Reply: enclosing area behind the sail panel speakers