Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best way to mount amp? *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to mount amp? *pics*

I really like this idea of mounting the amp against the rear panel and wanted to know the best way this can be done. Any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A drill, a drill bit and some sheet metal screws? Really, nothing fancy going on there. Most people opt for an amp rack for a more finished, professional look. All those loose wires hanging out in the open is kind of lame IMO. Check out http://www.subthump.com/acamarorack.htm for one of many racks to choose from. You can even make your on fairly easy. Do some searches, tons of info here on this stuff.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I have mine screwed into the back same as above only centered... just used reguluar grabber scews.... I have all my wires running behind the stock backing so it's pretty clean looking....

Funny thing about the pic you used... I've got my FTRA cover plate sitting on the floor just like the pic... Kinda funny
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you opt to do this, just use common sense. Make sure you peel back that carpet and take a good long look at what is behind it... wiring... different stampings... tail lamp mounts...

Drill pilot holes 1-2 sizes smaller than the screws you intend to use. Use the shortest screws possible and be aware of the depth you have going on before you get into outside metal, finish panel, tail lamps... whatever.

Also make sure the screws are painted and if they do punch through to the outiside, get to them on the outside and seal them up with some sealant and/or rust inhibitor.

On my last coupe, I had my amp sitting in the driver's side cubby shown there in the picture. The wiring was oriented outboard/forward and therefore wasn't very visible while standing at the bumper. I just put the hook side of a few strips of self-adhesive velcro on the bottom of the amp and it never shifted or moved around, but it was a pretty small amp like in the picture.

Going through all the effort of an amp rack is only worth it if you intend to show off the system. And showing off a system is really pretty dumb. Keep it cheap, keep it stealth.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by todddchi
If you opt to do this, just use common sense. Make sure you peel back that carpet and take a good long look at what is behind it... wiring... different stampings... tail lamp mounts...
Yeah, thats what I was mainly concerned about. I wanted to ask before I start drilling.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

what size screws did you use? i would be scared to drill through the back
Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen anyone mount an amp the way I mounted mine but here it is

Sorry the pics kind of suck but you get the idea, I used I think half inch sheet metal screws and very slowly and carefully screwed it in ( the gas tank is right there!) the screws poke through the other side and left a healthy amount of clearance between the heads of the screws and the gas tank ( at least half an inch) while this does work I dont think I would do it this way again
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Teching In

i would mount it in the hole the stock cd changer went then hide it with your sub box and have it all hidden and if u dont put in subs u can still hide all your wires and have easy access to your amp controls
Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98cobraklrws6
i would mount it in the hole the stock cd changer went then hide it with your sub box and have it all hidden and if u dont put in subs u can still hide all your wires and have easy access to your amp controls
exactly what i did, i mounted the amp at an angle with a couple of brackets because it was too long but it really looks pretty nice, i can post a pick if you want one.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

post up
Old 11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

I like the stealth look and put my two amps in the spare tire well. I can still adjust them easily, but lets hope I dont get a flat.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Default Pictures of my amp install

wanted to keep the factory look with the rear flap closed to try and keep some of the criminals away just another thought of away to mount the amp.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to mount amp? *pics*-mctosh1.jpg   Best way to mount amp? *pics*-mctosh2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Still get to shut the partition when I want to. . . Can't see anything from outside

Old 11-11-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone mounted amps behind the rear seats? It looks like I could possibly fit 3 two channel amps that flat area. Then I have to find a place for the sub amp. All with a VERY tinted hatch of course!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy at our local audio shop had 35th Anniversary SS. He took apart the rear seat, hollowed out the back of the seat, recovered the area with carpet, and mounted the amp back there. It looked really cool, because you couldn't see it until he folded the seat down. I personally thought it was a bad idea because there was nowhere for the heat to dissipate. He claimed that the recess being significantly larger than the amp allowed for heat dissipation, but I still think it would overheat the amp.

My amp is mounted on a board in the spare tire compartment, out of view. Also mounted the crossovers there.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i just made a pannel that i attached to the rear panel using the taillight studs , and covered it with carpet, looks great all wires hidin , but i dont have any pics
made it from a simple piece of plywood and some 1x's
Old 11-13-2005, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

check out the pics in my sig, i built an angled box to hold 2 amps behind the rear seat.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

pics are in my sig
amp is on rear deck and SQare LS7 solobaric 10 in corner