Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I can't hear vocals well, and the ones i do hear ECHO!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't hear vocals well, and the ones i do hear ECHO!

Just finished installing my system (in the truck) :

Pioneer P8MP HU
Kicker KX 700.5 Amp
Diamond Audio d6 components
Kicker CVR10
Stock rears

Ive tried adjusting just about everything and can't get it to play the vocals right. It sounds like the singer has fallen into a 100 foot well, the words you can make out are very faint and echo bad. Anyone ever run into this?

Also i have some engine whine...Is it because i have the power hooked up to the alternator block connection thing (connencts the alt. to the batt.), do i need it hooked straight up to the batt? I kept all the rca's away from power sources....
Old 11-14-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Are all of your eq/dsp functions on the deck set at default settings? Are the components woofers mounted solidly? Is there a hard surface paralell to the back of them, possibly causing acoustic interference? As far as the engine whine, Make sure your main power wire is connected directly to th battery, and is fused within 18". Next, ground your deck to the same point as your amp is using, and make sure that point has been sanded to bare metal, and there is no paint causing resistance.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you give more detail about how the component speakers are hooked up to the amp?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by richieg
can you give more detail about how the component speakers are hooked up to the amp?

They are hooked up using the other 4 channels off of the amp... the mid bass are coming straight off of the amp (using the amp's x over) while the tweeters are coming out of the DA x overs.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snootch
Are all of your eq/dsp functions on the deck set at default settings? Are the components woofers mounted solidly? Is there a hard surface paralell to the back of them, possibly causing acoustic interference? As far as the engine whine, Make sure your main power wire is connected directly to th battery, and is fused within 18". Next, ground your deck to the same point as your amp is using, and make sure that point has been sanded to bare metal, and there is no paint causing resistance.

I tried hitting the reset and putting everything back to default, with no change in echoing...Comp. are mounted solidly. Ill get the power hooked straight to the batt. this weekend! (thanks) I didnt use the ground for my deck, i guess i should have....the grnd point was sanded.....thanks for the ideas!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another piece of info, i was listening to Green Day (quiet and echoing vocals of course) then all of the sudden the backup vocals came through LOUD and CLEAR..Does that she anymore light on my prob.?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

total long shot, but if you have a meter laying around, check the impedance of the mids, they might be too much high or low for the amp. the crossovers those sets come with alter the ohm load.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

total long shot, but if you have a meter laying around, check the impedance of the mids, they might be too much high or low for the amp. the crossovers those sets come with alter the ohm load.
so are you saying that i might have to run them through their x overs instead of coming straight off of the amp's x over?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen it before, but only once, and that is 13 years of stereo stuff. But it is possible. I am curious though, why run them without the supplied crossovers? Also I throw out that idea with the notion that all connections and eqipment have been verified working and are looking for anything you could troubleshoot. If none of that had been checked, I'd say blown radio. I wish you luck, & let us know what the problem was when you find out.

And just to overdramatize what I'm talking about, take my home speaker box, an old cerwin vega floor standing box from the 80's. It has 2 six" mids, 1 tweeter horn, and 1 fifteen" sub. The 6's are 6 ohm, the fifteen is 16 ohm, and I have no idea what the tweeter is, but bottom line, after they all run through the crossover, the entire speaker cabinet is at 8ohm,

either way, I hope you get down to the bottom of it.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen it before, but only once, and that is 13 years of stereo stuff. But it is possible. I am curious though, why run them without the supplied crossovers? Also I throw out that idea with the notion that all connections and eqipment have been verified working and are looking for anything you could troubleshoot. If none of that had been checked, I'd say blown radio. I wish you luck, & let us know what the problem was when you find out.

And just to overdramatize what I'm talking about, take my home speaker box, an old cerwin vega floor standing box from the 80's. It has 2 six" mids, 1 tweeter horn, and 1 fifteen" sub. The 6's are 6 ohm, the fifteen is 16 ohm, and I have no idea what the tweeter is, but bottom line, after they all run through the crossover, the entire speaker cabinet is at 8ohm,

either way, I hope you get down to the bottom of it.

A local stereo shop did the comp. speaker install for me, since the door had to be cut to fit the large baskets on the DA mids. They told me that running them straight from the amp would "give them more power and just use the ap's x over"....I took their word for it, and it looks like ill be having to go back and change what they did (the exact reason i did this other stuff myself in the first place).

Another thing i thought of was that he said that he Y'd the RCAs for the mids and highs out of the HU through a noise filter and was wondering if he screwed something up there too.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

You might check to make sure you have the + and - correct. If they are reversed you get sort of an echo due to the speakers being out of phase.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

I would bet coin that you are only getting one audio channel (left or right) through all your speakers. Check the wiring.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it normal to have to run a noise filter in the rca's?? Im asking because i want to take it out and run the wiring like i had originally intended. 3 preouts F, R, and SW. Front for the comp.---Rear for the rears (turned down low for audio fill)--and SW for the SW of course...I also want to switch the comp. spkr wiring to run the output through the DA x over instead of using the amp's....Ill try doing all of this on saturday unless anyone else has a better idea

Thanks a whole lot for all of the ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you had the install done? Why again are you fixing this? They should be.

However, I noticed that this h/u has BMX processing. Have you disabled it?

Sounds like you also have three sets of crossovers... h/u... amp... speakers. Stacking any of those wrong could end up killing midrange.

I'd make sure all the h/u settings were centered or baselined, and then walk through the crossovers and connections. Particularly making sure your h/u settings and amp settings aren't fighting each other.

This also sounds very funny:

Another thing i thought of was that he said that he Y'd the RCAs for the mids and highs out of the HU through a noise filter and was wondering if he screwed something up there too.

There should be 5 RCA's going directly from your deck, directly to you amp. Any other way and it's suspect for them trying to take a shortcut.

Does your fader and balancer work correctly? Does your sub level adjustment work correctly? Any problems there would help narrow your search quickly.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and there is no problem with using the amp crossover in conjunction with the component system's crossover.

Setting the amp up for high-pass means the amp isn't working to produce bass it doesn't need to send out. Keeping the crossover on the components, makes sure the delicate drivers will never see any damaging bass sneak through if your amp settings get goofed up or otherwise. You're losing nothing by using the amps crossover and hooking up to the components crossovers as you should. It's the right way to do it.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

5 RCA's coming from the HU? Why not 6? (I think im missing something). Im not taking it back there for them to fix it because im really tired of stereo shops. Everytime ive had something done ive had to go back and redo at least half of it.

Fader seems to work ok but balance acts funny...Does that make sense?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well there could be either 5 or 6. Sub output doesn't need to be stereo. So it is ok to combine that signal with a 2 to 1 and run 1 fewer RCA line back to the amp. I match up with whatever RCA inputs the amp has. If it has stereo ins then I run 2. If it is a mono only amp/channel then I just combine it at the h/u and run 1 sub RCA.

The balance should not act funny. Four outputs, four speakers.

If your arrangements with the shop was on the up and up (clear contract/description for the work, clear proof of payment, no discounts or under the table type of stuff, not just paying a buddy) then I would absolutely go back to that shop and give them the option of fixing it or refunding the money for all labor.

Just taking care of it yourself makes it too easy for places like that to keep doing poor installs. Talk to a manager, be nice about it, be professional. If they don't respond well, then write up a simple declarations letter and go from there. Small claims is not a complicated process and usually merely showing the willingness to pursue it is enough to get most managers to clean the mess up. You didn't pay them to mess your car up.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was all on the up and up...They kinda low-balled the job though. I paid $130 for them to install my comp. with Dynamt on the doors, and it took them several hours to do all of it.

I don't really trust people to work on my stuff for this reason. I don't want to go through taking it back and have them try and blame some other equipment or something I did on it. I think with the ideas that yall gave me I should be able to come up with something.

Thanks Again!!