Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Satellite Radio Reciever

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Reciever

I have a Sirius Satellite radio tuner hardwired in my car. Its spliced into the ciggy lighter so it has constant power 24/7. So I have to manually turn it on and remember to turn it off when I leave the car. I want to wire it into the accy so itll turn off when everything else does.

My question is, does anyone actually know if it matters at all if the reciever loses power without being actually turned off first? Think itll damage the unit over time?

Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i install on average 1 satellite unit a DAY and i always splice into accessory power, either behind the radio, or in the ignition harness... so if doing that damages the unit, it would be news to me... and tons of other installers. so no, hardwiring to accessory would be much to your benefit, instead of having to remember to turn the thing off every time you get out of the car.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome, just checkin. Was wondering because I know computers like to be shut down manually and I got to thinkin'.... Thanks!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

no prob... gooood luck
Old 11-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
Awesome, just checkin. Was wondering because I know computers like to be shut down manually and I got to thinkin'.... Thanks!
You're right - computers should be shut down rather than just powered off. But that's a different situation. Computers need to close open files and save things to disk as they shut down but a radio (any radio, not just satellite) doesn't have that. Computers wouldn't be physically damaged by just powering them off but the data on the disk might get corrupted.