Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rediculous Monsoon question

Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rediculous Monsoon question

Sorry, I'm just a huge n00b at ls1's at the moment, and I've been looking into getting a WS6 after I graduate.

I had been looking at ls1.com, but a member at the board I'm ususally at (mustangworld.com) told me that ls1tech.com is ALOT better. Before this I had been looking at ls1.com, and this one guy said that if you have a monsoon system, and upragde to an aftermarket hu, you would have to re-do all the wiring and get new speakers. I found this to be complete bs cause that really doesn't make sense to me, as long as th espeaker output goes to the amp.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the ohms in the speakers... the monsoon headunit/amp will make the aftermarket speakers sound like ***.. look up at the top of this board and look under "frequently asked questions" and "monsoon" it talks about monsoon system and speaker replacement
Old 11-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y92Z28
its the ohms in the speakers... the monsoon headunit/amp will make the aftermarket speakers sound like ***.. look up at the top of this board and look under "frequently asked questions" and "monsoon" it talks about monsoon system and speaker replacement
I already understood that part, just asking can I put in an aftermarket headunit and not have to rewire/replace speakers & amp
Old 11-20-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mudvayne
Before this I had been looking at ls1.com, and this one guy said that if you have a monsoon system, and upragde to an aftermarket hu, you would have to re-do all the wiring and get new speakers. I found this to be complete bs cause that really doesn't make sense to me, as long as th espeaker output goes to the amp.
You dont necessarily have to replace the speakers. I have a Panasonic HU with everything else OEM. Most of the bands that I can adjust seem to sound at least as good as the Monsoon was.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

If you go and buy a different head unit you don't have to redo anything else as far as speaker wiring. You only have to get the correct wire harness. If you want a better quality sounding stereo overall, then you have to rewire and replace all of the monsoon system.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Even if your system includes an amp, you don't necessarily have to run new wire to the front speakers.

There are diagrams that show which pins on the factory amp go to which speakers. You can tap into those.

This will of course mean you'll butcher the factory wiring, and make it harder to ever put back an oem system should you sell the car.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Changing the speakers and wiring is not necessary if you're going to use the stock amplifier. However, the stock speakers have a short life, and you're likely to have to replaces those sooner than later. I wouldn't recommend stock replacements, when there are better and cheaper speakers available.

Of course, if you want really good sound quality (or really thumping bass, or you like cranking the volume really loud), best bet is to replace the whole system including the wiring harness.

Personally, I find the stock Monsoon system adaquate to my listening needs. I've replaced my speakers only out of necessity.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys

I'll eventually upgrade speakers/amp, just hu will probly be the first thing.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't seem clear here so far but to put it simply you can swap in a h/u just like any other normal car. Get a standard aftermarket harness just like you would for anything else.

The monsoon amp is driven off of the factory h/u speaker outputs. So long as you buy a deck with speaker outputs it'll work fine.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

The F Body is one of the easier cars around to add a head unit. Nothing extra is needed, just the typical wire harness. Sounds much better off a aftermarket head unit, you can even keep steering wheel controls with a pac swi-x. A good advantage with a aftermarket hu is you can adjust the frequency to cut off all the real deep lows and use your Monsoon system for mids and highs, add some Infinity 2 ohm kappa 6.5's or mod some Alpines and your set. Add a sub and the system should be great for most people. I am running the stock monsoon system except a kenwood mp3/cd and a amp and 2 subs and sounds great. Have all the lows cut off on the Monsoon system. Getting ready to put in some Infinity kappa's soon.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Launching!

This guy keeps saying differently then you guys (I believe you all because ls1tech.com > ls1.com) but if anyone's registered there can they correct him for me?

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73271#post73271
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

most here don't even really talk about the "other" site. i have personally put in a aftermarket cd player in my car. all i needed was a basic GM wiring harness adaptor, nothing special, and a antenna adaptor. i would believe my dog b4 i would listen to the bs talked on the "other" site.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
most here don't even really talk about the "other" site. i have personally put in a aftermarket cd player in my car. all i needed was a basic GM wiring harness adaptor, nothing special, and a antenna adaptor. i would believe my dog b4 i would listen to the bs talked on the "other" site.
Yea that's what it's like at mustangworld. There's a filter so you can't even type in fordpower with having it censored. Plus there's a HUGE lawsuite between the owner of MW and gotstang because gotstang hacked into MW and used some shiz to start the site, gotstang.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This guy keeps saying differently then you guys (I believe you all because ls1tech.com > ls1.com) but if anyone's registered there can they correct him for me?

I'll bet he works for a Car Stereo shop.

Stereo shops want to sell you a complete package. A good shop won't outright lie to you, but they'll never volunteer that you can swap out pieces of the Monsoon system.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tired to correct them, but my acount is no longer even valid over there, to thinkg 7000+ wasted posts on that site all gone as well as any of the good info before the series of crashes, and start of the +1 site

Ryan
Old 11-21-2005, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

I posted a long post under yours about the Monsoon and aftermarket HU. Guy isn't going to listen, he sounds like a A$$. One reason he gave to keep the stock HU was US made. My car was made in Canada, my Bilsteins are not US made either. If everything we have was US made then we all wouldn't watch TV or use dvd players. He is mixing up the Bose system with the Monsoon, totally different.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rotwiler
I posted a long post under yours about the Monsoon and aftermarket HU. Guy isn't going to listen, he sounds like a A$$. One reason he gave to keep the stock HU was US made. My car was made in Canada, my Bilsteins are not US made either. If everything we have was US made then we all wouldn't watch TV or use dvd players. He is mixing up the Bose system with the Monsoon, totally different.
Thanks for hooking a n00b up
Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

i put in my pioneer deh8600mp, no change to any speakers/wiring.. works great. and i also have cool f body pics scrolling as the backround.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1LoudTA
i put in my pioneer deh8600mp, no change to any speakers/wiring.. works great. and i also have cool f body pics scrolling as the backround.

Thats a nice looking unit
Congrats on the setup

http://www.audiocars.com.ar/shop/images/8600.jpg
Old 11-21-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The pac unit isn't terribly bad either. Hardest part is finding a place to mount / mounting the ir emitter. Otherwise it's just one other wire splice outside of the normal radio harness. Honestly you might as well do it at the same time.

But you must do this if you want to keep your wheel controls.

$45 on ebay, cheapest I found.

I mounted the ir emitter in the coffee cup handle curve of my center console (camaro vert).

Search this Thread