Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

8inch next to back seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8inch next to back seat

im looking to put the 8inch subs in the spots next to the back seats, i think sail panels or something they are called

how do i know if a speaker would be good to put there
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Make sure it fits.
- Make sure it is designed for infinite baffle or ported applications (not sealed).
- Plan on cutting the metal in your car because the factory openings are 6.5".
- Don't go overboard because you are mounting a woofer on 2mm thick sheet metal. There is no need for a $200 premium sub because it will just rattle all hell loose on that part of the body. Appropriate drivers can be found via search.

If you are simply replacing factory units then I wouldn't spend more than $40-50 per sub. Anything more than that is going to be overkill for the monsoon amp power levels.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by todddchi
- Make sure it fits.
- Make sure it is designed for infinite baffle or ported applications (not sealed).
- Plan on cutting the metal in your car because the factory openings are 6.5".
- Don't go overboard because you are mounting a woofer on 2mm thick sheet metal. There is no need for a $200 premium sub because it will just rattle all hell loose on that part of the body. Appropriate drivers can be found via search.

If you are simply replacing factory units then I wouldn't spend more than $40-50 per sub. Anything more than that is going to be overkill for the monsoon amp power levels.

i am wanting more bass w/ out taking up space in my car, i planned on adding an amp, not using stock

what would 8 inch subs sound like in place of th estock speakers w/ just the monsoon amp?

would they sound underpowered, or would they be just like normal w/ a lil more bass?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the extra cone area it'll be just a little louder I'd expect, I havent heard the monsoon system yet though, but you prolly will have to get a better amp anyways. You'll atleast need 150w rms. Some people have done it so far and say its a big imrovement over the stock 6.5" subs.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on the freq response and sensitivity. Remember, the stock sails are not true subwoofers. They are midbass speakers. So if you add a sub amp and 8in subs, you are going to lose some volume in the midrange (from 500Hz to 2000Hz, I'd guess). Most true subs will only play below 500Hz. How that will affect the overall sound, I don't know. It may not matter.

You'll have to listen to it once you get the system together to see if it sounds right.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll sound alot better when compared to stock. Factory drivers make crap for bass.

The monsoon amp will not drive a high quality 8" sub to it's potential but it will sound a lot better. I would try it first, you might be happy without adding an amp. It'll keep up with the factory drivers just fine.

You put good 8" subs back there and back them up with a strong amp, and you'll be out of balance with everything else, overpowering your fronts.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

so if i put the cheapo 8's in there and just plug them in itll sound better than stock, but w/ more bass
Old 11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

To get the most you should really choose a 8" mid-bass driver that is intended for a free air application.

There was a post recently about a guy that put 2-8" JLs back there. Try a search to find it.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok...scratch my 8 inch idea, what is a good midbass that performs better than stock w/ no added amp, just plug and play, its the stock system all around w/ two dif. midbasses, thats what im lookin for, i dont want n e thing big til i can do it all at once and money wont allow for now, so ill just replace the 2 im not satisfied w/
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have bad subs in my Camaro. Like you I'm looking for a drop in replacement for the stockers.

I haven't had a chance to actually hear one of these in a Monsoon system, but the 3 replacement candidates I'm considering are the following (Ordered by price from cheapest):

1. Audiobahn AMD60Q - http://www.audiobahn.com/products/20...omponents.html

2. Image Dynamics CX62 - http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...&type=midrange

3. Pioneer Reference TS-M7PRS - http://www.pioneerusa.com/pna/produc..._34604,00.html

I have CX62's on factory back order, but I'm getting tired of waiting and thinking of getting AMD60Q's instead.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info, that helped a lot, until that i didnt know what type of speaker i was actually looking for to fill that spot

those audiobahns look nice, is there n e thing they lack compared to the others?