Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacement speakers--which ones???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement speakers--which ones???

I searched and read a lot of threads, but it's kinda confusing

One of my speakers in the backseat is blown and need to replace it. What speaker can I buy, that is a plug and play instalation, and will work with the factory monsoon stereo? Not looking for anything special....

any help?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I'm by far no expert on the subjust. But, like you I'm also, in the process of performin an up-grade of the stock 200w Monsoon system(due to a blown driver's side door specker) in my '02 Camaro Z28 and I've found from experience. That, the 3-way (JBL's) are not the way to go here, in the rear seat area. Mainly becuz, of the configuration of the 3-ways, not that there JBL's. So, instead of the 3-ways a good quility 2-way(like the Infinity 62.7i's, was one of the suggested) of a set of components and just not hook up the tweeters. Is my next approach to the rear seat spks.

Just remember this is the mids/subs location, @ less, in the Camaro's. FYI, I'm going w/ a 4ohm up-grade set-up, now. Since, the pervious owner had already swapped out the stock HU for a Pioneer AM/FM/XM single CD player(50w x 4) HU.

Good luck,
Don

Last edited by Don B 02 Z28; 12-10-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately, GM used different speaker arrangements in Firebirds and Camaros coupes for the Monsoon sound system. They also used a different speaker arrangement for the convertables. I'm not sure if Firebird Verts have the same speakers as Camaro Verts or not.

Therefore speaker recomendations are vehicle specific. Especially for the sail panels.

A few things to consider when choosing replacements:
1. The Monsoon system isn't very high power, even if it does say 500W (200W for Camaros before 2001). So you'll want speaker rated at 40W to 75W RMS.
2. The head unit has very high distortion above mid-ranged volume settings. If your keeping it, don't bother spending alot on high priced speakers.
3. 6.5 in speakers are too small to to produce a really thumping bass sound. If you like to rattle your bones, get a seperate amplifier and a true sub-woofer.

I own a Camaro so these are the speakers I recommend for it.

DOOR SPEAKERS:

For my 35th LE, I used the Alpine SPS-170A's in the doors as recommended in the stickies. I think they are a very good choice. The sound is much clearer and the lows are much better than stock. The woofers seem just as loud to me, even thought they are 4 ohm not 2. I think these would work fabulously in the Firebird doors also. Since the Fbirds have seperate tweeters, these would only basically replace the door woofer.

SAIL PANEL SPEAKERS:

I have not replaced these yet, although I need to. The speaker I like most right now, is the Audiobahn AMD60Q. I'll let everyone know how they sound after I get them in.

REAR HATCH:

I've read posts saying the 4" rear speakers don't matter and are unnecessary. While that may be true with the stock speakers, it made a pretty big difference when I dropped in a pair of Alpine SPS-100A's. Prior to the replacement, I had found the stock system lacking in mid-range response. My music now sound fuller than before.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys.....I just want something close to same as the factory speakers...I would buy some factory replacements both they've busted in both fbodies I've had. I'm going to keep the stock head unit/amp and I only want 2 rear speakers.

So basically, I just go to the store and tell them I want a 6.5" speaker for a 99 TA rated at 40W to 75W RMS?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

An easy way out would be to just buy the replacement monsoon speaker from Ebay or somewhere...
Old 12-10-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
Thanks for the info guys.....I just want something close to same as the factory speakers...I would buy some factory replacements both they've busted in both fbodies I've had. I'm going to keep the stock head unit/amp and I only want 2 rear speakers.

So basically, I just go to the store and tell them I want a 6.5" speaker for a 99 TA rated at 40W to 75W RMS?
I'd look into the Audiobahns I mentioned. They look like they would do well in your T/A also. They can be had online for $79 a pair. Just remember that your stock speakers are dual voice coil, unlike the Camaro. So you'll see 4 wires going to each sail speaker. Use the longer pair of wires only.

If you decide to get replacement stockers off of ebay, remember to check what vehicle they came out of.