Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius cabpable deck question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sirius cabpable deck question

Ive got a Clarion DXZ945mp cd player that is Sirius capable that I won the Sirius reciever with as well on Ebay. The cable that connects the reciever to the deck is quite large and must go onto the back of the deck....is there any way to route or hide this wire without making a hole somewhere? Would I be better off just getting a Sirius car kit and forgetting that I can use my cd player(since I dont want my console hacked to pieces)?

One more question...the only thing Ill need past the reciever and capable deck(if I do go that route) is the car antenna right? Ive notcied that they want the same damn amount for the antenna as they do the car kits.

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You don't need to hack your dash. The Sirius receiver can be mounted anywhere - behind the dash, under the console or seats, even in the hatch area if you have enough cable. It doesn't have to be within reach or even visible because the controls are all in the satellite-ready head unit. So you can hide the receiver someplace and then just run the cable behind the dash to the head unit.

But no, you can't use the car antenna. You have to use one of the Sirius antennas or you won't get any signal at all (not to mention that there is no way to plug an AM/FM antenna into the receiver). Satellite antennas have gotten quite small recently so there are lots of options for mounting them. They aren't affected by plastic or composite materials so several people have mounted them inside the rear spoiler with good results.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know of anyone or do you have any pics of how someone has ran that wire to the reciever? What do you think the average shop would charge?