Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button start

I'm off for Christmas break and I'm wanting to do the push button start mod. Anyone know where I can get the plug made from a floppy drive cable??? Is this what you used in your mod? I assumed these were the general directions everyone took

http://members.***.net/pitre/s2000sw.htm

thanks for the help!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks awesome. i don't have your ansers but am wondering what do you do with your keys...do they need to be in acc. positoin, off, other etc...very intriging
Old 12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I could prolly make you one, I have thousands of old PC wires and parts laying around. But I suggest that you go to the local computer fixer upper to get one.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Those are the most common directions. They worked pretty well for me. However, you dont necessarily need to use that switch. I actually used a brand called Ignited. With the Ignited switch I didnt need a computer cable. I just used some wire I bought from radio shack (I dont quite remember the guage though). Just make sure to follow the schematic. As a matter of fact, I actually have a more detailed schematic on my work computer. I can PM it to you if you would like.

Regarding the logistics of how it works - you still need to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. Once that is done, you can hit the button to start the car. The switch on the sterring column will no longer be used to turnover the engine. Some say its stupid because you still need to use the key, but I think its a neat and easy mod to make your car a little unique.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

OK, stupid question. If you wanted to, could you still turn the key in the ignition to start the vehicle?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

also wondering about using the ones with leds... do I need another wire? has anyone done that?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Depending on how you wire it, yes, you can have it set up so that the key will still start the car as well.

Regarding the LEDs - the Ignited switch I bought is lighted, but I chose not to hook it up. Its just a matter of running one more wire from the ignition.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I installed the push button starter from Auto Zone in my car. Pretty straight forward install. My brother thought it was going to be stupid until i actually got it working. He wouldn't mind having one in his vehicle now. Follow the link in the first post, the pictures really helped me identify the wiring. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I did this a while back on my mustang, so I figured I'd throw this up (not made by me) to help simplify the wiring. I wired mine into the CPP switch to protect from grinding the starter after the engine started. Ignore the color codes as they apply only to SN95 mustangs but the concepts remain the same.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap thats kick ***, like the Porsche's! (btw i love Porsche's lol...if yall havnt noticed) where did he get that button??

also got another question, i think i know the answer but making sure...couldnt if anyone stole the car just rip the button out and short it to make it start with out the key in? **highly doubt it but making sure**

...that's so fkking awsome...

( i love buttons and switches and toggles and all sorts of crap like that...makes it feel like a fighter jet!)
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the start button is from the Honda s2000
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

excelent....now it's time to do some S2000 parking lot shopping lol
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
excelent....now it's time to do some S2000 parking lot shopping lol
LOL they dont need em anyway right?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol damn straight!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

also got another question, i think i know the answer but making sure...couldnt if anyone stole the car just rip the button out and short it to make it start with out the key in? **highly doubt it but making sure**

If you wire it according to the schematics above, you will still need the key in the ignition to start the car.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Where did you guys out your start button? I have the one from autozone, and I was just wondering where you guys have your and if you like it there?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Semp3rFi
Where did you guys out your start button? I have the one from autozone, and I was just wondering where you guys have your and if you like it there?
well, i dont think they are sponsors so i dont think i can post a link. But...if you do a search on yahoo for "push button start switch" you'll find a couple of companies that sell switches. The most common appear to be the S2000 style and the Ignited brand.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Got mine from hparts.com
Old 12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neonblack
Those are the most common directions. They worked pretty well for me. However, you dont necessarily need to use that switch. I actually used a brand called Ignited. With the Ignited switch I didnt need a computer cable. I just used some wire I bought from radio shack (I dont quite remember the guage though). Just make sure to follow the schematic. As a matter of fact, I actually have a more detailed schematic on my work computer. I can PM it to you if you would like.

Regarding the logistics of how it works - you still need to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. Once that is done, you can hit the button to start the car. The switch on the sterring column will no longer be used to turnover the engine. Some say its stupid because you still need to use the key, but I think its a neat and easy mod to make your car a little unique.
I love my ignited button. I get tons of compliments, and the WOW factor from passengers is pretty cool too. Actually I wired mine up so that I could still use the key to turn the car on if I had to (just splice into the yellow ignition wire instead of cutting it completely, the key is still required to dissarm the V.A.T.S. so theft is not an issue)
Old 12-21-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here's mine, at night its led blue. day time its white.
did mine like 2 years ago, still works perfect. i got it on ebay from some guy in japan.
Attached Thumbnails Push button start-dscn0617-medium-web-view.jpg  

Quick Reply: Push button start