Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Speaker question

i have a 99 camaro with the monsoon system, all the speakers work and sound great except the speakers in the back seat, i believe they are subwoofers, but it sounds like they are blown and the bass is terrible so i have to have the bass turned all the way down in order to listen to music, when i hook these subs up to my home stereo system they play music just fine, i need help
Old 01-08-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My guess is you have a vibration back by your speakers. Perhaps the plastic cover. Perhaps how the speakers are mounted themselves. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem and I even bought new speakers to replace my rear seats. Then the same problem occured......your speakers probably arent even blown. I took mine to a shop and they werent blown. Usually its the cause of the metal on metal where those speakers are mounted. Get some stuff called Dynamat or Dynomat...I forget the exact name, its like a little sheet that helps with the vibration and rattling.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

Wow, I think I have the same problem.. I thought they were blown but the treble sounds good but they have sound like **** when bass goes through them. Who should I go to to see if they are blown or that I just need some dynamat?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firecrotch59
Wow, I think I have the same problem.. I thought they were blown but the treble sounds good but they have sound like **** when bass goes through them. Who should I go to to see if they are blown or that I just need some dynamat?
Remember, the Monsoon amplifier has low-pass crossovers for the door woofers and sail panel speakers. So those 4 channels only see frequencies below 2Khz or there abouts. The rear hatch speakers are the only ones that are full-range off the amp. I'm not sure if they are actually amplified or just pass-thru's. I suspect the latter.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Launching!

I just brought my car into Best Buy, I only had my brand new speakers for a couple weeks. So I went in to exchange them assuming they were blown, but the techs hooked the speakers up to another system and they werent blown. So they gave me some Dynamat, which I havent installed yet....so I dont know its effectiveness. Just find a shop and have em check it out.....you're also running dual crossovers in a Monsoon system, which basically drowns your power. If you buy new speakers, they are demanding higher power than what the Monsoon puts out. That can also cause some crackling/popping/rattling noises.
I'll be getting two 12's installed with a new amp/deck though because I'm tired of trying to get the Monsoon to sound good. Especially when I already have the amp and two 12's sitting around here doing nothing haha! Good luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

well i took the speakers out of the "hole" that they screw into in the back seat, and held them in my hand while it played and it still made a fuzzy/scratchy noise when music was playing so im stumped
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given you've taken them out and tried them with another signal, chances are they are just blown. Don't buy monsoons, search the forum and find a couple suggestions on what to do for replacements.

FYI on 10 speaker systems - the head unit drives door tweeters and hatch tweeters (4 channels) and the amp (8 channels) drives the door woofers, hatch mids, and sail subs (DVC).