Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacement sub....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement sub....

I was wondering if anybody here knew if the Elemental Designs EU-700 would be a good replacent sub for my '99 T/A with the Monsoon sound system. So far it has been the only one I have found with DVC-4ohm, which I was told is what the factory sub is. Is there any other speakers out there that I don't know about that might be better?? I am not wanting big bass but I do want the best I can have without having to build a box and waste what little bit of "trunk" space I actually have!
Here is Elemenal Design's Website
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpine makes a DVC with either 4 ohm or 2 ohm voice colis. I am using the Type-S 10" and it work perfect. Subthump make a box that fits into the space behind the left rear tire and work great with the Type-S.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

James, I am considering the same thing. I plan on measuring to make sure it'll fit. Have you contacted elemental designs yet about more specifications? Those things, if they work and sound good, are a killer deal at $50 a piece.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adire audio makes them as well as Boston Acoustics and Arc. There are plenty of choices for DVC subs, you need to look better.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The one post I've read from someone who tried the EU-700, reported poor sound from it.

I believe it is likely that the Monsoon DVC speakers are not built like standard DVC speakers with one coil wound atop the other. First, the Monsoon speakers have each coil wired directly to the amplifier, which you would not want to with a typical DVC speaker. Any difference in signal between the 2 channels would cause distortion due to one coil working in opposition to the other. Considering that people have reported horrible sound when the 2 channels are tied together would indicate the 2 channels are purposely different. Reinforcing my theory that there is more to the stock speaker than meets the eye.

For Firebird Monsoon owners, the best recommendation is to get a decent mid-priced aftermarket speaker and hook it up to only one pair of wires on each side.