Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Old school rockford guys help needed

Old 01-20-2006, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school rockford guys help needed

Ok I have 2 rockford amps I am going to install in my car, They are from the mid to late 90's. They have built in crossovers, refered to as the "x-card". One amp will power my sub so obviously that will be set to L/P. My other amp, (4 channel) will power my doors and sails. Both my sail speakers and door speakers have external passive crossovers. (Infinity Kappa) My question is with the external crossovers, should I set the X-card to high pass, or full range? The x-card is only accessable from the bottom of the amp, so I don't want to be playing games once I have the amps mounted and wired up. Oh yeah the x-card only has three positions, L/P, H/P, and full range. Thanks any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

The passive crossover on the speakers... what are they? Probably just a small cap correct? That's doing the HP for you.

Next, what are the LP/HP settings on the X-card? And since it's a 4-channel amp, can you maybe use full range on the doors and LP on the sails? (Depending on the X-card freq setting)

If you do not know the X-card settings and the speakers already have a built in passive crossover, just use full range on all 4 speakers.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to find out what the high pass is set at. Wasn't it around 110Mhz? If so, you will want it set there. I always kept mine at full range and used their external crossover. It had a built in signal amplifier.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

The crossovers that came with the kappas, comps in front coax in back, are actually pretty big. They appear to have at least 5 components inside them. ( the casing is clear) They are about 4.5in. x 2.75 in.
I don't know the exact frequency of the rockford's x-card, they have been with me for some time. This is my first set up with the passive speaker crossovers, so I'm a little confused.
Maybe I can get the frequency on rockford's web site? It's worth a shot I suppose.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doubtful you'll find anything on Rockford's site.

Didn't know you had components up front. The crossover it came with is both Low and High pass. Send them a full range signal from the amp and that crossover will take care of the rest.

And the co-axils came with the same crossovers? Maybe not exactly the same, but that's awesome. Full range to them too.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I disagree with you guys.
His component speakers probably only have a x-over between the mids and tweets. You need some way to keep the mids from trying to play the very low bass. I think you should plug both x-cards in the 4 channel amp to high pass. That will protect the mids and allow them to play louder.

I think the factory x-cards were 80Hz, but might be a tad higher. Which amps are these, the oval DSM ones or the black and grind ones?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

The amps are the black and grind ones.

Search this Thread